buy mbp now or wait till second batch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dinesh89, Dec 30, 2008.

1. dinesh89 macrumors member

dinesh89

Hey guys, well ive actually a few questions.I am going to buy a macbook pro 2.53 very soon. I would like opinions and suggestions.
    I have read all the problems that many people are facing with the black screen of death but is this a hardware problem or is it just that the fans are not kicking in well enough to help the gpu?
    With the release of snow leopard coming soon will the new batch of macbook pro's be worth waiting because the way i see it the benefits are many:snow leopard, possibility of dual gpu sli, possibility of 8gb ram.
    Would it be a wise choice to get it now or wait till the second batch comes out because the hassle of replacing the macbooks due to bsod is just tiring.
    thanks in advance.:D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Six months is soon to you?

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm under the impression that the current Pro's can be upgraded to 8GB's and nvidia said the gpu can be switched now. I think all it takes it a software update which everyone will be able to get (who have the current ones). Snow Leopard won't cost that much to upgrade and it will be free for me since I'm in their dev. program benefit of membership.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

6GB works, 8GB doesn't.

$129...

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I thought they said 8GB will work once Snow Leopard is released. Doesn't matter because I don't see myself needing that much RAM for the next few years anyways.

$129 isn't that bad.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I meant now. I don't know what they've promised for Snow Leopard, only that they've artificially limited it to not accept 8GB now.

7. dinesh89 thread starter macrumors member

dinesh89

how bout bsod?

ok so i guess the 8gb and snow leopard wont be a big deal. but how about the black screen of death? do you think the solution to that is also a software fix or is it bad gpu chips?thanks for the replies!

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its a combination of both, the gpu chips arnt bad, they just arn't ideal for laptops however i think a firmware fix in the near future will take care of it.

9. T10HJS macrumors member

I got my new MBP 2 weeks ago and haven't had the fan issues or the black screen of death, looking at all the points above it all depends on when Snow Leopard is released as you have save a few ££ guess you have to ask yourself how much do you want a MBP and how long can you wait? ;)

10. T10HJS macrumors member

Just trying to think how nice 8Gb RAM would be, my Pro struggles a bit when im rendering Video's and playing games on Parallels lol.

11. dinesh89 thread starter macrumors member

dinesh89

wow..nice..well do u have any problems gaming on bootcamp or on mac?

well i cant really wait that long actually but then im just scared of spending so much of money then having something that has a gpu that is struggling in a notebook.

12. T10HJS macrumors member

Trust me if you get a MBP with a 512Mb cad you will have no issues, i am currently using Parallels 4.0 and am a happy gamer, i hear that to get the best performance its best to use Boot Camp but i like to be able to quickly switch bwteen the much hated Windows to Mac OS X :D
    :apple: all the way.
    :D