Buy MBP Now or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattMJB0188, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Hi everyone, I am new to the mac family lol. Only used a PC and ipods however I really want a macbook Pro. I need something extremely portable so I was considering the MBP 13" base model which is fine for me. The dilemma is I am reading all these things about a new 2010 MBP refresh which will use the new core i3 and core i5 chips. I am reading Jan 26 is when the Macbook Pro line will get refreshed with new processors and some sites say NO. Well ok I can wait until Jan 26 however I like the price of the base MBP 13' now and I can afford that. I fear with new processors they will jack up the price.

I called Apple up and of course they said something like Apple does not comment or speculate on rumors. Ok I get that, I just don't want to buy now then 3 weeks later have something better come out for the same price or close. I hope I'm making sense. Anyone shed some insight and give me advice when to buy or have any news on the core i3 and i5 chips. Thanks :D

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

No company will telling you about unreleased products.

Apple doesn't usually "jack up the price". They update their computers so that the prices stay roughly the same, or sometimes drop. They usually "ripple down" the technology. In the case of the laptops, the chip currently in the top-end MacBook Pro may get moved (as well as possibly speed-bumped) into the new 13" MacBook Pro, while the top-end gets the brand new / faster chips.

What exactly Apple will do to update the MacBook Pro is known only to them, but there is likely to be an update early in 2010, so is probably worth waiting for January / February.

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

If you absolutely need it now, get it.

If you can wait up to half a year, I'd say wait.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

What a unique thread topic! Never seen anything like it before evar....:rolleyes:

If you need it now, buy it now. If you can stand to wait a few weeks, wait a few weeks.

Either way, you're buying a kick-ass computer.

5. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Is it likely anything will change on the low-end MBP 13? Will they completely remove the Intel Core 2 Duo line?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's always far too many current "buy now or wait" threads to copy and paste. If only people would learn to search first! :rolleyes:

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

Nobody but Apple knows. All the MacBook Pro models might move to a new chip leaving the MacBook with Core 2 Duo, or maybe only the higher end Pro models will use the new chip and the 13" will still use the Core2Duo (faster version than currently has) in a similar way to the iMac line-up.

The only thing that can really be said is that the 13" MacBook Pro is now a bit too close in specs to the new white MacBook, so something is definitely going to change sooner rather than later.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Applicable to everything that ends up in this section. You can tell when updates are coming because the threads become more rampant.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

^What he said.
    With that said, I would wait. It won't be long now. Less than 3-4 months
    I would imagine before a significant hardware refresh.

10. satchmo macrumors 68000

It's typical to see Apple upgrade the low end models to the upper tier specs and keep the same price.

I wouldn't be surprised to see released in January, a 13" 2.53 GHz MBP with 250gb HD for $1199. Same processor and GPU.

The high end 13" and 15" models then might get all new processors/GPU etc...

All speculation of course. It's killing me, but I'll wait the month since current models will still be available at perhaps even lower prices in the refurb section.

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

This is the age old MAC question and response. I say do it and be happy.

12. Buzz Bumble Guest

If Apple are announcing their tablet on 26 January, then they probably are not going to want to over-shadow it with new laptops as well. That would suggest any possible MacPro updates being delayed until February or March.

13. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

meh... no need to wait!

I bought mine a month ago and all this hooplah over a refresh has been going on this past week.

I myself was going to go with the base model 13". And yes it pretty much has the same specs as the macbook but not as sexy!

The next dilemma I was faced with was how much I was willing to spend. So instead of buying brand new from the Apple store I scoured the internet. From Craigslist to Kijiji to the refurb section at the Apple store to even gambling sites like Swoopo. I searched and searched and searched for over a week and finally found a pretty good deal. 1450$(CAD) for the 13" 2.53 model from a guy on Kijiji BNIB(1year Warranty). Here in Canada we pay about 13% + another government fee for electronics. So I pretty much saved a couple hundred bucks. I even found people selling their MBP after a month of using them for a couple hundred bucks less.

If you really think about it, if you wait you're going to save maybe 1-200$ and probably 4-6 months wasted waiting for something that you'll have NOW!.

Regardless if its a MBP now or later its still an awesome machine and from what I hear it'll be awesome for a Loooooong time. Friends of mine who still have G4's stand by it. When I see and use my MBP I constantly think to myself what a great investment I've made. Do I feel like I'm losing out because in a few months there's going to be something a little bit better? NOPE. Thats just the nature of computers. By the time you open the box there's a new one on it's way out.

All of this coming from someone who's used a P4 PC for 6 years. 6 years of headaches, 6 years of reformatting my HD!, 6 years of Windows XP updates, 6 years of.... you get the picture.

In conclusion.....

Just buy the dam MBP NOW!!! There is no losing out....

14. louster1950 macrumors newbie

louster1950

waiting for MacBook Pro

I too am waiting for a much needed MacBook Pro. The newspaper I left (remember those) kept my Mac. It was theirs anyway. I've seen many of the rumors of something happening in early 2010, but no mention of a built in Blu-ray burner. Any thoughts on that possibility?
    Thanks,

L

15. Surely Guest

Surely

All signs point to 'no' on Blu-ray.

16. louster1950 macrumors newbie

louster1950

:-(

I should start researching external Blu-ray burners.

Rats!

L

17. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

The real question should be :

Will the "new MPB`s " have similar problems that the new iMac now have ?

Then ask , should one buy now or wait ?

Just something to think about , quality control issues and such.

I too am looking to buy a new MBP , but wait for better more up - to -date spec`s , and hope they are good , or buy now , or wait and see what the new spec`s will be and hope that you can capture a deal at BB`s outlet store ?

So many way this could go :eek:

O___ :D

Happy New Year !!

Be safe _ be happy _ be as good as possible , for in times as these it is often a hard thing to do.

G.

18. epiphany macrumors regular

...or you could be like me and wait almost a decade...
    every Nov, I say 'buy at Christmas'.
    End of December, I say, 'buy at MacWorld' or end of January
    In March I say, 'wait until early May, when they're trying to attract graduating students.
    In July I say, 'October will have a refresh or new model. Buy then'

And this is why I still have a Ti Book 550 Mhz with a broken hinge, but still plugging along in 10.3.9...
    <sigh>

19. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

20. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I bought mine in oct. Great piece of equipment. Love it.

I am bad when it comes to buyers remorse so i have the feeling my purchase was unjustified and i could of either waited or didnt need to spend that much money. However recently switching to apple products i have learned that having buyers remorse is not good when you are an apple fan.

If you buy an apple product more then likely it will be updated within 6 months or so

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I understand the logic of just buying and being happy, but buying in October and buying now are not the same things.

22. Buzz Bumble Guest

"Newspaper"?!? Oh, that's one of those things that Apple is rumoured to be getting ready to have available on the 'iTablet'. ;)

23. louster1950 macrumors newbie

louster1950

That would be great, at least people would be reading newspapers.:)