Buy MBP through college or somewhere else

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbjandai, May 10, 2008.

1. lbjandai macrumors member

From Macmall

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, 15" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 250GB SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8600 512MB, 8x SuperDrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR & iSight, OS X 10.5 Leopard GLOSSY

+2 more gigs of kingston memory (total=4)

and this protection deal- http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...-+$3,000-ServiceNet+Service+Plans&dpno=622826

$3,161.84

from school

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    with 6MB shared L2 Cache
    2GB (2 SODIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    250GB 5400rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive
    8X double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
    Multi-Touch TrackPad

+2GB of memory (4 GB total)
    AppleCare for three years and
    Safeware (accidental damage protection)

$3,206

it also comes with: however, I don't care about any of this, i just included this in the equation for you to see where the numbers come out. I can buy all this later and already have a office 08 license, flash drive, ethernet cable, and surge protector.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
    Laptop Carrying Case
    2GB Flash Drive
    Surge Protector
    Security Lock
    25' Ethernet Cable

question 1. Will that protection deal from macmall be just as good as applecare - plus accidental damage? Don't you get one year of applecare no matter what? So if i got a defect, I could return it and get one that worked, and from then on, if i had problems i would use servicenet?

The macmall macbook pro is cheaper.. and better specs.. as long as I like glossy... which i will have to check out...

Now i thought about the benefits from buying through my school, I could always go to them for help, but to be honest, I know what I am doing with computers (i run my own tech support business on the side), if i had issues, it would be hardware issues, and they probably wouldnt be able to do anything with that - i'd just have to send it to apple.

So really, I guess question number 1 is the most important.

Let me know what you think!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you need a glossy screen, get a glossy screen; many people hate it.

100MHz is worthless for the upgrade cost. You won't notice it.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

And many people love it. Only you can decide what you like.

4. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

correction, the school's is actually 3,206... so the macmall deal saves money.. but i still gotta figure out this whole applecare/accidental damage protection stuff.

5. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i'll have to go to the store and see which one i like more.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Truth. It depends on your occupation and personal preference. Just don't write it off as better because it's BTO.

7. tderemigis macrumors member

im not sure if yours is different or not, but through if i order through University of Maryland, its a 4 years apple care plan with the macs.

8. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

yea i get 3 year apple care. but that doesnt cover accidental damage.

So my dilemma was if i bought through macmall with the configuration above, and just got that servicenet protection that covers against accidental damage, would that be all i needed? If something was faulty with the mac, I should have one year of applecare

9. DCSMAC macrumors member

my college's deal is the base MBP with the hard drive upgraded to 250gb, plus 3 years of "auto enrolled" apple care, all for $1940

10. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

yea i get three years of apple care already with the school deal, but i added memory and $500 of accidental damage protection through safeware, so it got up pretty high. But i also got 2.5, not 2.4.. if ures is 1999, it should be 2.4, unless you are getting a heck of a deal.

But back to the thread.

I just called my school and asked if it was possible to get a glossy screen and they said yes, for a different price, which I am fine with. So, if i get the glossy screen and the rest of the school's package with the safeware accidental damage protection there you have it.

11. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Where do you live? I saved 300.00 dollars by driving to Oregon where this is no sales tax. I also told them I will use my lap top for work and they knocked off another 100.00. You might think of things like that.