Buy Mini New or Used?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dhelsdon, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hi all,

I am looking for advice, I am going to be purchasing a mac mini soon. I have been in contact with a forum member about purchasing his Mac Mini - MB463LL/A for 350$

Do you think that's a good deal or should I wait a bit longer and go for brand new?

The difference in budget isn't a huge deal to me as I can wait another month to save up the difference. With the spec differences I am tempted to just buy new, if I bought his used would i be getting a good deal or is it better for me to buy from apple?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

C2D processors are so old. I can't stand the one in my MacBook Pro, so I would vote for waiting and buying new, especially if you want super longevity.

3. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

4. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

IMO, used Mac Mini's are a little too expensive, thus, I'd rather buy new.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

refurbs for sure, then max da ram for sure....

and yes I agree that C2D's are getting VERY long in the tooth, to say the least....

With current prices of used/older generation mini's hanging around the $300-400 mark, it only makes sense to get a refurb from apple for about the same price or just a few $$ more, which by the way will have been thoroughly tested & will include a more current CPU, HDD etc, and a warranty also, something you will NOT get when buying from a private seller :)

also check out megamacs, owc & other online retailers (who almost always have at least 1 deal running) in addition to apple, before committing to a private purchase......

6. HungryWolf macrumors newbie

I just got a 2010 2.4 C2D from the Refurb Apple Store for $469. Cheaper than most used units are going for on eBay AND it carries a one year warranty.

I added 8 GB of RAM and use it as a HTPC with SL so it fit my needs well. I was also unwilling to give up the optical drive or rely on some other brand's drive.

If you need additional processing power for your needs, you may want to go ahead and pick up the 2011 model. I'd also add 8 GB to that if it were me. It's so cheap to upgrade RAM anymore, why not?

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I see a 2010 on the Apple refurb store listing for $749. When was yours listed? What exact model do you have? I rarely notice anything cheaper than $900 on the Apple refurb store but Microcenter often has older Apple refurbs in their stores.

8. lc25 macrumors 6502

Wait for the right one to appear in the refurb store, nothing wrong with them and they cost less.

9. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

10. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Unless you can get a great deal from Apple, I'd order from Amazon provided there is no tax from them where you live. They are also about $40 off retail and ship for free. $350 is a pretty good price, but for $200 more you can have a warranty and a brand new machine. The newer machines are also much easier to upgrade Ram.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes that one is the Mac Mini Server from 2010. It's been there for awhile. The 2011's pop in and out all the time (I recommend setting up a notification from refurb.me if you look for refurbs from Apple). Prices I have seen as of late:

2010 - 2.4ghz Mac Mini - $469
    2011 - 2.3ghz Base Mac Mini - $519
    2011 - 2.5ghz Mid Mac Mini - $699
    2011 - 2.0ghz Mac Mini Server - $849

They come and they go. Once in a blue moon, there is the 2.7ghz Mid mac Mini for $769 which I wish I had grabbed last time it was in stock.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Thanks for the heads up on refurb.me! I've set an alert for myself and we'll see if I can grab one of the "good ones" before it disappears next time!

13. monkeybongo macrumors member

I would recommend getting the i5 models either used or refurb. They're recent models and desktops tend to have very little wear and tear compared to laptops.

But if you can get a C2D 2.4 Ghz for $325-350 range, I think it's a decent deal and will certainly do everything you need like playing 1080P videos. It won't last you as long but you can worry about that in a few years.

14. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Be aware that Minis often are only in stock for literally minutes. Even jumping as soon as you get the email may not be fast enough. There are vultures who monitor the refurb store and often grab them before emails go out. There are extensions you can add to browsers that will constantly refresh a web page (every few seconds) and alert you when any element changes. The vultures use these to be first on the scene.

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I guess we need a sniping service. AppleRefurbSnipe.com. :D (And no I don't think it exists yet).

The last time I bought an Apple refurb was at Microcenter. They have dozens of older refurbs in stock but their prices aren't exactly amazing.

16. HungryWolf macrumors newbie

Same site I used when I failed several times to get the model I wanted. It worked great! I had to order it at work but hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right? :D

17. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I got an alert yesterday about a Core 2 Duo with 320 GB HDD and 2 GB RAM mini for $469. It was actually a pretty decent deal and it lasted long enough for me to go to the apple store and hover over the link and think about it. I decided I'm not ready to buy just yet but I've seen one instance where the alert came in while I was in front of my computer and I could have snapped up the machine if I'd really needed it at the time.

18. HungryWolf macrumors newbie

That's the one I picked up. Added 8 GB RAM and had myself a nice light duty basic use machine that doubles as my HTPC. It's been working wonderfully.