Buy more storage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Has anyone bought any more space on the iCloud? I'm thinking of getting a bit more. With the 1080p recording i'm going to fill up my phone memory pretty fast. My plan is to send it all to the cloud and delete it off my phone. that way i still have it available for download

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I haven't, but will the second I need it. So far, I've only used less than 1 GB. I'd assume this will change when iTunes Match goes live.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

well things can only stay in the cloud for 30days

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I don't think that's true at all. You're probably thinking of PhotoStream.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

wait photostream only saves things for 30 days? whats the point of that?

or is that only there so you can stream it to other apple devices? and the setting in icloud to backup camera roll is the actual backup. cuz if i can't save pictures and videos for more that 30 days its useless

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The music doesn't count against your quota; whether it's uploaded or matched :)

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that uploaded music counts against your storage space. I know matched and purchased won't.

Yes. Apple gives you 30 days to save those images to a device for offline viewing.

8. snook911 macrumors 6502a

You have it right in your second statement. Photostream in not really a backup its more used to stream your photos from one device to another. The back up you make with icloud is a backup and will last forever. My problem is my camera roll is 6 GB so I'm already over. Plus I use dropbox with cloud copy to back up my camera roll. Works great and I can individually pull them down from any iOS device or computer anytime I want. Don't think you can do that with iCloud. You camera roll is backed up so you can restore your pictures back but I don't know if you can get to the individual files or not.

9. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

my storage from MobileMe was rolled into my icloud, so I've got 25gigs thru june 2012. in the 3yrs of having/using MobileMe, I don't think I've used more than 2gigs of space. I use it mostly for sharing music with friends

10. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

well if thats the case i'm turning photo stream off. i don't have any other i devices

another question for you folks. do you have all your apps backed up as well? i have like 57 apps and they all have data backing up to the cloud. do you do this as well

----------

i also heard from another source that the 5gb (or however much you purchase) isn't a set limit. i heard you get 5gb for the year and then the next year they give you 5 more (10 total) and so on. so if i purchase 20gb this year next year i'll get another 20 and have 40 total

is this true?

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The big use for Photo Stream for me at least, is that I never have to worry about syncing photos from my device to my Mac.

I can take pictures and iPhoto automatically picks up anything new added to the stream and permanently stores it on my Mac. (in both the photo section, and as an event.) It even starts doing face recognition and geo-sorting.

It doesn't matter if I go over 5GB or 1000 photos, as iPhoto is capturing everything as soon as it hits the air.

That's really convenient for me.

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

unfortunately i'm completely reliant on the cloud so i have to worry about it