Buy MPB through the Apple store or through the school?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aames725, Jul 27, 2008.

1. aames725 macrumors newbie

I'm debating on whether to buy my MBP through my university, or through the apple store. My school has a package deal which comes with the computer, microsoft office 08 for mac, and apple care for $2,038, plus the ipod touch($299, but free after rebate) and a printer bundle with usb cables, surge protector,paper,ethernet cable, security lock, and color and black ink cartridges for $179. I just know the Apple store offers the macbook pro base model for 1799, then the printer and ipod touch, but i'm not sure how much that totals to. What do you guys think is the best deal?

Also forgot to mention that the apple store is local, but my school is 2 hours away.

2. nintapple macrumors member

you're going to college and you don't know how to use a calculator?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well from Apple:

$1799 + $150 for Mac Office 2008 (3 licenses) + $250 Apple Care + free printer + "free" iPod touch.

4. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

If you have an AMEX you don't need AppleCare...considering that, and the fact you have to pay $179 for the printer bundle, I'd just go with the Apple Store. And just buy your other necessities with the money you save. Depending on the college/university you go to, you don't need an ethernet cable really...Wi-Fi was extremely fast for me...

5. Stopsignguy macrumors member

From adding up the numbers, buying through your school seems like a better deal. Also, should there be any problems you can directly go to them for assistance, assuming your school is an authorized Apple reseller with tech support on campus.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got a good laugh out of this response.

Why bother figuring it out yourself, when you can get someone else to do it for you?

7. T0mmyGunZ macrumors member

why what happens if u buy it with an AMEX? you get your own warranty?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AMEX gives you 2 year accidental protection I believe.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

+1. :p
    ---

Your school has the better deal with the bundle and all, but check their purchase and return policies. If I bought from my school and if by some chance I wanted to return it within 14 days, they'd charge me a 30% restock fee :)O), while the Applestore's fee is 10%.

Oh, and make sure you call your school to see if they have the exact model you want before you drive there lol :p. Screen size + screen type + speed + iPod. Don't waste your time by driving there to find that they're out haha (cus I did that once ><).

10. aames725 thread starter macrumors newbie

....I wasnt looking for sarcasm. I knew what the costs were, I just wasnt sure how much Apple's printer costs because I know you've gotta pay for everything THEN you get a rebate, and I wasnt sure if Apple's deal came with anything extra, like my school's did. That's why I asked. To everybody else, thanks for the feedback. I think i've got a good idea of what i'm going to do now.