Buy MPBr now or wait until fall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OSX15, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. OSX15 macrumors member


    Jun 2, 2014
    Hello guys, I know there are similar threads going on but I'm wondering what you guys think.

    Now that no new refreshed macbooks are announced at WWDC yet, how likely would it be that apple releases a mid 2014 model around this month or July? (Basing this on macrumors buying guide and previous product cycle)

    I want to buy a new Macbook pro retina for my work. I'm a Web developer but I also design a lot and edit photos and videos. I hate to buy outdated tech so I'm wondering what would be a smart move.. reselling might be difficult later if there is no mid 2014 model.

    I hope there are more people in the same boat. Let's share some opinions. Thanks in advance guys!
  2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Jul 22, 2010
    If you need one now - get it now. If what you have still works just fine - wait.

    Apple will update the rMBP when Intel's Broadwell chips are released in the 4th quarter 2014/1st quarter 2015. There may be an interim minor speed bump in the current Haswell processors.
  3. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 2, 2012
  4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm buying mine now(ish), but waiting for the back to school promo, which will probably start between now and the beginning of July.
  5. Agent-P macrumors 68030


    Dec 5, 2009
    The Tri-State Area
    Intel said Broadwell chips won't be available until the end of this year anyway. So even if Apple happens to release the updated MBPs the same day as Intel makes Broadwell available (which is unlikely), you'll be waiting a few months. I'd just get it now. The current ones are great.
  6. Orr macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2013
    If everyone operated by this logic, the overwhelming majority of threads on internet forums where people ask complete strangers to make important decisions for them would cease to exist.
  7. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502


    Jun 8, 2010
    Yeah, then what would we do with all our free time?:)
  8. kupkakez macrumors 68000


    Apr 4, 2011
    I just picked up a 13" rMBP today at Best Buy. If you have an .edu email address you can shave $150 off the cost.
  9. EnderTW macrumors 6502

    Jun 30, 2007
    tbh, the earliest we will see a new retina mbp is october hopefully with broad well. If you can hold out that long, go ahead and wait. I bought the 13 inch today, 256/8gig ram, that will hopefully last me a while. This is my second / portable mac, my main machine does gaming / heavy photo editing. For everything else, I use this.
  10. gtanner00 macrumors member

    Apr 21, 2014
    So for a student there is no chance of anything by august?
  11. kelon111 macrumors 6502

    Mar 16, 2013
    Expecting a Broadwell based laptop in August is extremely optimistic. Intel said that the Broadwell CPUs were delayed to Q4 2014 and some companies are just now receiving engineering samples.
  12. gtanner00 macrumors member

    Apr 21, 2014
    I knew that already. I would expect them in February.

    I also know that apple does a huge marketing push for the back to school season so they might try to bring something "new" to the table to entice buyers on the fence.
  13. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

    Mar 4, 2013
    Anything "new" will most likely be limited to a 100 MHz speed bump to the CPU.
  14. OSX15, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

    OSX15 thread starter macrumors member


    Jun 2, 2014
    Okay guys, thanks for all the input!

    I just decided to go for the Macbook Pro Retina 15" with the 2.6 Ghz CPU upgrade and the applecare plan. :apple:

    I highly doubt that a new MBPr will be THAT amazing and will make the current gen obsolete.. at first I was kinda scared, but now I feel it's not worth the extra wait considering my old laptops are falling apart..

    only downside; It will take two weeks for them to deliver the MBP to my doorstep..

    And IF the next versions will be super awesome.. well we have ebay ;) :D

Share This Page