Buy my first Mac - advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 00bolt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. 00bolt macrumors member

Well it wouldnt really officially be my first Mac, because about a year ago I had an ibook g4 for a couple months. But I no longer have that. But Im now in market to buy a new home computer for my office. Im considering a Mac, but here is my only problem.

I dont want a computer that already comes with a monitor, the way my offiice is setup I use my 46" Sony LCD tv as my tv and computer monitor (actually is pretty cool setup)... so I would still want to do this with my new computer, but I notice all the mac's come with monitors or build into the monitor... are there any that you can buy just the "computer"

also, my tv has a monitor hookup (obviously, thats how I have it working now), but I notice most newer computers only use DVI hookups, my tv doesnt have DVI, but does have HDMI and regular monitor hookup slot... is there a way I can still it it to work?

2. jvencius macrumors regular

Ummmm--not quite. The Mini and the MacPro both come sans display so either one of them would work like you'd want unless you buy an iMac and run the Sony LCD and the onboard display in extended desktop mode.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

You have a fairly big pick of macs as you could go with a laptop as well as the mini or pro. What is the most demanding work you do? Do you have any unique requirements?

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I agree... for a small price (comparatively) is the mac mini, which starts at $599. the mac pro starts at 2499. what is your price range and what are you using the mac for?

5. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

well honestly, I dont use the home computer too much. Really its probably about 85% use is surfing the internet, paying bills, etc online....

But, I do have 2 small children and take LOTS of photos and videos of them, and would love to get all this stuff organized and make DVDs to watch and send to family, etc...

other than that, not really too much other than the ordinary things.... I have a ps3 for my son and I to play games on, so thats not an issue...

6. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

ohh, the video camera I have is an HD camcorder, and I havent really messed with it much, but I was told that editing it on a computer takes some SERIOUS horsepower... I have a 2.8ghz, 2gb Dell and havent attempted it yet, but would like to keep that in mind....

7. KershMan macrumors 6502

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable. Just Google the two and you will get a number of links. Here is one http://www.svideo.com/dvihdmi3.html.

The new Mac Mini with C2D would probably work with iMovie and an HD camera. Load up on RAM. I used a G4 one (1.67Mhz) and it worked fine with iMovie and a normal DV camera. Without spending the money for a Mac Pro, an iMac would be really nice and a small footprint. It has DVI out to extend the desktop, as previously posted, and would allow you to work on the main desktop and display the pictures/movies on your TV. I do this with an iMac and Apple Cinema Display and it works quite well.

8. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Well, sounds like a maxed out mini would suit you fine. They've just been updated so there's no better time to buy :)

9. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, i like the mini, the price and size seems nice. Looks like I can get 2.0 and 2gb memory for under $1k

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Buy the memory seperately and have it installed at a computer store. It'll save you oodles.

11. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

12. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

You could get a Mac Mini, but I guess the vram will be a little small for your screen and eventual for your usage anyway.

The iMac comes with a screen and you don't want that.

They mac pro is expensive as hell, but atleast you can get the gfx card you want if you are a gamer.

I'd however suggest you get a portable since it won't take much space and make a lot of sense, also you can use it as a portable if you want to.

The Macbook have the same ****** gfx as the mini so I'd vote for the Macbook Pro.

So my suggestion is Macbook Pro or Mac Pro.

You can get a DVI to HDMI-adapter, or (not as good) get an adapter which gives you VGA out.

Edit: May I ask what resolution your TV has, is it 1920x1080 or something else? I doubt the mac mini will be that great for 1080p, but who knows.

13. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I found a mini thats in my price range. Its a modded one with 2.16ghz C2D, 2GB memory, Superdrive, 80gb HD, Tiger, iwork 08, iLife08, etc....

I just got done watching the iLife 08 video on the apple site, and it says that iMovie can now edit ACVHD... (which is what my HD camcorder is). This is a good thing, there are few software out there that can do this... so Im pumped. but im curious, will this setup be enough to allow me to edit HD video footage? I dont want to spend money on this mini and it not be what Im looking for....

14. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

HD footage will stress it. It will do it, of course, but it might be slow. If you have alot of patience, then it's no big deal.

If you want to edit HD video with any sort of brevity, then a Mini is going to be the worst Mac candidate.

15. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

crap, thats not what I was wanting to hear. lol. I just cant throw down $2500 for a computer right now, Id like to stay under $1k if possible. I was thinking MBP, most of them are in $1200 range used, but being portable really isnt a big issue for me

16. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

You could still edit it, it's just not going to be as fast as a faster iMac or Mac Pro.

There's no mac that is going to be fast editing HD footage... but also be under 1000 dollars. And if portabiliity isn't a need, a used iMac will probably outperform a used MBP, with the right specs, and still be cheaper for the performance.