Buy new 2.1 speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by little nin, Dec 4, 2008.

1. little nin macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i've lurked on this forum for a while now and decided to join today :D

anyway, i currently have my old set of Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 (link)connected to my iMac through an external creative soundblaster. (link)

after a few days of trying to get some sort of stereox2 sound or something from them i realised i pretty much can't. I can get 5.1 from ac3 files and stuff, but for some reason the DVD Player App. doesn't detect my speakers or something so can't select them and get 5.1 to play with my movies, because of this i really just get 2.1 that sounds nice with 3 spare speakers. should i get a new set of 2.1 speakers and take the ones i have right now back home?

a 2.1 set that i was looking at were these ones but i really don't know what to get anymore, i would like good base and speakers that could handle going loud without going very very fuzzy.

any recommendation on a 2.1 system or something welcome :D
    i also live in the UK so i can only buy stuff from europe i guess lol.

sorry for the long post!

2. mattlong1978 macrumors member

mattlong1978

It took me some time to decide on a good set of 2.1 speakers I often wanted the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks but in the end went with a set of Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers the satellites are quite tiny but the sound they put out is amazing as well as this unlike my previous Logitech's I didn't find the Bass to overwhelming seemed fairly balanced.

Everyone has different opinions but I give them a thumbs up. Only thing i would change is the fact i bought the black ones not white :rolleyes:

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Have you considered the Audioengine A2 or A5's?

Zack

4. little nin thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking of the A2's but i do like my bass, the A5's would be better for bass and stuff, i'm stuck between the A5's and these Acoustic Energy (link)ones, hopefully i can get the A5's though

edit:

or i could get the A2's and buy a sub with my own money, i'm planning on getting the speakers as a present

5. whatisthe macrumors member

I have the a5's they're decent speakers and can get really loud with good bass. In my dorm environment I can really only turn them up to less than 1/10 of their volume output otherwise it disturbs everyone. Also, I've got them connected through a DAC for better audio quality but after a period of activity then inactivity they make a loud pop. I think this may be the DAC discharging some electricity but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to hurt the speakers at all, just is a little annoying.

6. little nin thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm gonna get the A5's i think :), is it worth it to get DAC too?