Buy new iMac 21" now??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by avalongirl, Jan 2, 2016.

1. avalongirl macrumors newbie

I am using an iMac 24 - about 2009. I am considering buying an iMac 21 and giving this one to my husband. Is this a good time to buy?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It depends. The 21" iMac line was just updated this past October, so you're not at risk of buying it and then having a new release come out in a month or two. Based on past release trends, you're looking at anywhere from waiting a few months to multiple years for the next iMac update. In that regard, this is a good time to buy.

If you get into "future proofing," then this isn't a good time to buy. You don't say whether you're considering the "retina" 21" iMac or the standard, but in either case, there's no longer an option for a discrete graphics chip and the 21" iMac lineup is using the Broadwell chipset, which is one generation old (the current is Skylake). There were some concerns about the graphics chip in the retina 21" iMac, given that it's the same discrete chip as used in the non-retina versions. I haven't read about any major performance problems so it may be a non-issue, but as with all things, the next update should bring even faster speeds... and if you follow the old advice of "don't buy Apple's first version of a product," then note that the retina 21" represents the first retina version of the iMac at that price.

My personal advice? If you're even considering upgrading, this is a fine time to do it. There's always something new and great on the horizon, but we're also always upgrading machines faster than we realize.

3. tyche macrumors 6502

If you're coming from a 24" it might be worth looking at the 27" unless size is an issue. While the 21" did get a refresh and likely won't see one for another year, it's severely crippled and buying the almost forced upgrades gets very close to 27" territory.

If any case, under no conditions should you use the stock 1tb drive. Either upgrade to a fusion or SSD or look at using an external drive to boot. The base HDD is a travesty Apple should be ashamed.

The time is right to buy if you need, just carefully look at the costs of the various models and make an informed choice of what will fit your needs.

4. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

When has it ever been "multiple years" between iMac updates?
    The iMac has always been updated atleast once every year since its inception in 1998? (first few years even twice a year)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't seeing Apple releasing an update to the iMac anytime soon. I'd get one now, if you need or want one now. Yes, its on Broadwell, but I don't think Apple will do anything until the fall

6. zacster macrumors member

I would advise you to get the 27" model with a fusion drive at the least. I just bought one moving up from an older 20" model and while it is bigger, it isn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. Once you go for the fusion drive on the retina 21" you are in the same territory price-wise as the 27". The 27" has the graphics processor and upgradeable memory too.

I just re-read the original post and you already have a 24". The 27" won't look all that much bigger.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found it better in my case to go up to a 27" from a 24" ACD, then going down to a 21". Mind you, my only experience with the 21" is playing with it in the apple store but in doing so I found it a bit more jarring to move down to the smaller display then going up to the larger one.

Solid logic, the 5K iMac is running the latest Intel chipset, has a dGPU and imo, the best bang for your buck

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

You're correct. I was reading about the update cycles and there was a website that mentioned that the last update to the 21" lineup had occurred in 2013; it seems they missed the mid-2014 refresh.