Buy new iMac now: bad idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I want to buy an iMac to replace my MacBook Pro. I'm getting a netbook or a cheap laptop for my portability needs (which consists almost exclusively of law school exams, which requires Windows anyway).

Is now a bad time to buy? I know no one really knows anything, but I'd like some opinions. Basically the reason why I'm swapping the MBP is because I use it 99% of the time as a desktop, and over the past 1 1/2 years my back/neck is beginning to hurt more and more (yes, I do have a laptop stand, it helps, but the problems still persists). I'm switching back to a desktop, which is much better for my neck/back.

Anyways... any opinions or input? Get one now, or wait?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes, bad idea.

And an external keyboard, monitor, and mouse is identical to a desktop for 'back health' purposes.

And, you can put windows on the MBP for law exams.

I wouldn't buy a new anything based on what you are saying.

3. Mercellus macrumors regular

Apple has already stated there won't be any revisions for the rest of this year, however it there has been talk of a revision during the Macworld conference in early 2009.

My motto is that if you need it, buy it, there's no sense in waiting around because regardless of what you do, there's usually a newer model out within 6 months. It's not as if the computer that you purchase today will be absolutely useless to you when a new revision is announced.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, you're right. But there's a reason why I'm not doing that: money. I'm planning to sell my MacBook Pro, and use that money to get the iMac. I can't afford to buy an monitor and external keyboard/mouse.

The lower-end iMac is only $1,150, and I can sell my MacBook Pro for ~1,500-1,600.

5. Stalban macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation. I don't care too much if apple change the internal specs of the imac but would be really annoyed if they changed the appearance etc - it would date my lovely new imac very quickly!

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway