Buy new iMac now or wait for update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 6EQUJ5, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 6EQUJ5 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a new 27" iMac... but everyone says wait for the update...

I get a student discount for like another 5 weeks...

now 10% off isn't anything to sneeze at...

my question regards the rumored update...

is it a radical change or just new processors?

if it's just going to be faster processors then i would buy now with no regrets

if the update is going to be a better screen, some touch built in or new case redesign i would wait and pay 10% more but if it's just faster specs I'll get the current iMac.

i bought the last iMac just before it went widescreen which bummed me out.

any and all advice welcome. thanks.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm ready to buy now but since we are so close to the refresh I've been holding off.

I plan on upgrading to the i7 (27") and SSD but I'm curious if the new iMac upgrades will be less expensive for the SSD. I doubt it because even though SSDs are cheaper now it still can only be done by either Apple or a certified Apple tech. Is it possible that the high end will include an SSD? I think it's doubtful. Maybe the next refresh (2013).

I don't man, not sure what I should do either. Sorry I don't have an answer for you :(

I also really like the current design.

3. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Read this page, with diagrams included as to what to expect and how different chips will be http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1283464&page=21

Minimal CPU INCREASE, 5%-15% depending on Model, so presume low end will see 5% and so on Most gains in integrated graphics which iMac does not use. That page should help you decide.

Hope it helps

4. MacNuber macrumors newbie

I am planning on replacing my primary Win 7 desktop with an iMac, but I am waiting to see what the new configuration options will be. I am not focused as much on the CPU (although a faster one will help), but rather on the GPU. I am crossing my fingers that Apple will offer a top graphics option of two of the top mobile GPUs in either SLI (using 2 nVidia GTX 580M's) or crossfire (using 2 Radeon 6990M's). If laptop developers can fit 2 GPUs in a laptop chassis, I've got to believe that a 27" iMac can accommodate them. I have heard no rumors that this will happen, but at minimum we should see a single 6990M 2 GB option, which should still run 3D games at about 20-30% faster than the current 6770M 2 GB option.

Come on Apple, give us a dual GPU option.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The only thing anyone is sure of right now is new processors. USB 3.0 becomes a possibility at that point, but not guaranteed. Any thing else is speculation without any backing rumors at this time.

My suggestion is to ask again about a week before you need to purchase. Also, you could consider a refurbished iMac, I believe the student discount applies to that as well.

Of course that 5-15% also depends on exactly which IvyBridge processors Apple decides to use. What seems obvious to us, may not be what Apple chooses.

6. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Unless you have some high end applications - - take the 10% - - or even better check out some of the great prices on refurbs...

7. Spike88, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If your 10% purchase discount is only good for 5 weeks, I'd wait 4 weeks (with 1 week buffer) then decide to buy or wait. Next refresh will probably have 5%-10% CPU, might have USB 3.0 and might have some other minor feature. Minor because these upgrade items don't really benefit the typical home user / typical student. These items mostly benefit the "power users". For schooling, one doesn't need a top tier system. They only need a system that meets or slightly exceeds minimum requirements (for their courses). I'd wait 4 more weeks, then decide.

Also... Remember that it's risky to buy the 1st items out the door. Many wait 1-1.5 months AFTER release. They let others test the new design, look for bugs, wait for 1st initial bug fixes, then buy. Even if a new redesign is released in early May, then one's "play it safe" purchase would be in early July. Way past your current 4 week deadline...

Hope this helps in your research..

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

An update is coming because of the new processors on the way. The performance alone might not make it worth waiting, but I get the impression it is a step change, so it might be a cut-off point some years in the future for OS updates.

The new processors make USB3 a likely addition, although we don't know if Apple are going to adopt the standard.

The current design is very long running for an iMac model. There have not been whispers of a redesign, but it is easier to keep quiet without all the partners involved in iOS.

It seems as if retina displays are coming to Mac, but maybe not just yet, and I doubt their largest screen will get it first. Although that would be some statement!

Most of these improvements are unlikely to appear in the next update, and 10% off is not to be sniffed at. I would wait until the end of the period in which you can get the discount, then decide based on gut feeling. It is not a clear cut decision.

9. Liquinn Suspended

I see, you're right I guess. The thing is with computers there's always something newer around the corner. Which is why I'm going to buy a 17" Macbook Pro from Amazon for a few hundred pounds cheaper. When the 2012 models come out then people will talk about the 2013 versions and so fourth :/

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"is it a radical change or just new processors?
    if it's just going to be faster processors then i would buy now with no regrets"

The Ivy Bridge CPU is going to support USB3, so I think there's a very high probability that we're going to see USB3 in all the upcoming new Mac releases from summer onwards.

This is going to change things considerably. USB3 will become a strong competitor vis-a-vis firewire 800 and Thunderbolt as a technology seems to be going nowhere right now.

Just my opinion, others may differ, but USB3 is going to change the game and is worth waiting for, unless you need something RIGHT AWAY.

11. Nicl macrumors newbie

Same thing as you, but i think i'm gonna wait; it's gonna be "only" another 3-4 months of waiting, and then i can go back to apple after my ibook clamshell (bought it in 2001) :)

12. multicore macrumors member

I don't know, maybe some one else does, but when the new models become available, don't the current ones get a 10% discount anyway?

13. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

CEO promised lots of great things to come

At the end of the iPad announcement "event", where the iPad 3 Gen was demo'd, etc. etc, the new CEO from Apple (boy one misses Steve Job's on stage gifts ... even Steve Gates had a fair bit of stage ability... These executive people who are very clever and highly trained, but have gotten to the top by hard work - rather than by outright genius mixed with luck and desperation and highly fortuitous timing -really do lack the skills that Jobs and Gates needed to get their companies going) ... anyway, sorry for off topic rant. But..

Anyhow the new CEO Tim Cook, said that a whole lot of great stuff was coming ... he final sentences at the event were:

Only apple could deliver this kind of innovation in such a beautiful, integrated and easy to use way. It's what we love to do. It's what we stand for. And across the year, you're going to see a lot more of this kind of innovation. We are just getting started.

Now, if Apple is "just getting started", then ... I cannot imagine that the iMac, which is soon approaching a record one year without a price change or an upgrade, is not going to be part of that "We are just getting started".

so, while my iMac 24" has died, I'll use another computer and wait. And after the new machines are announced, if they don't offer a price performance that makes sense to buy the new machine, then I'll straight away hop on and buy either a run out, re-furb or clearance machine for a 15-20% discount.

14. 141n5 macrumors member

time running out

I too am under pressure on what to do. As I am hoping to put the computer through on the business in the current UK tax year ending soon on 5th April. my 2008 24" iMac is getting seriously worn out with chronic screen burn and real capacity issues running CS suite .

I was really hoping for some news on iMac in the last update, but nothing not even a price change.
    I am sure as hell not going to be giving the £1800+ for a piece of year old tech that cost the same as when it was launched, and that I have spent most of the year saving towards. Usually by about now there is some information about the next gen. It is the first time that I am feeling a bit let down in over 15 years of mac ownership, there is just no clue or news about what is coming for iMac.

I don't need lots of fancy pants stuff on it, nor really care about new design, I just want my money going as far as it can into tech and processors that will give me at least another 4 year working life, without fear of obsoletion - and if it is the i7s coming down in price by a good chunk then that works for me too. but I am not going to be overly keen to buy a refurb on this purchase.

Anyone got any hope that there might be some news by end of the month?

15. 141n5 macrumors member

time running out

I too am under pressure on what to do. As I am hoping to put the computer through on the business in the current UK tax year ending soon on 5th April. my 2008 24" iMac is getting seriously worn out with chronic screen burn and real capacity issues running CS suite .

I was really hoping for some news on iMac in the last update, but nothing not even a price change.
    I am sure as hell not going to be giving the £1800+ for a piece of year old tech that cost the same as when it was launched, and that I have spent most of the year saving towards. Usually by about now there is some information about the next gen. It is the first time that I am feeling a bit let down in over 15 years of mac ownership, there is just no clue or news about what is coming for iMac.

I don't need lots of fancy pants stuff on it, nor really care about new design, I just want my money going as far as it can into tech and processors that will give me at least another 4 year working life, without fear of obsoletion - and if it is the i7s coming down in price by a good chunk then that works for me too. but I am not going to be overly keen to buy a refurb on this purchase.

Anyone got any hope that there might be some news by end of the month?

16. Kendo macrumors 68000

You have a 2010 MBP with an SSD? Somehow I can't imagine it would be that painful to wait a bit longer.

17. Apple Guy3 macrumors newbie

Only apple could deliver this kind of innovation in such a beautiful, integrated and easy to use way. It's what we love to do. It's what we stand for. And across the year, you're going to see a lot more of this kind of innovation. We are just getting started.

Now, if Apple is "just getting started", then ... I cannot imagine that the iMac, which is soon approaching a record one year without a price change or an upgrade, is not going to be part of that "We are just getting started".

I have to agree with you. With the statement Tim Cook said, it to me would seem appalling to make such a statement, and then make a very subtle upgrade to the iMac line. The next update to their products would be the macs. So I can't see making that statement, and then on their next product upgrade do something really small. I also think the design is due for a makeover, but of course with Apple you never know.

I hope the USB 3.0 replaces the current 2.0 slots, but you never know, I could see Apple going either way with this since they are really pushing the Thunderbolt I/O.

As for the processor, if you are holding out for a CPU upgrade then I wouldn't wait, you will get a subtle upgrade in speed, and Apple uses seperate video cards so the onboard graphics really don't matter that much.

The big thing I am hoping for is:

A redesign cosmetically (but I wouldn't be that disappointed if it didn't happen, the current design is still sexy as hell)
    USB 3.0
    Upgraded video card
    Price drop in the SSD option

I really see this as the only realistic options, but it's Apple, you never know with them

18. xopher macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting a 10% discount? Isn't it only $100 off the 27 inch model?

Honestly, im in the same boat as you,however, im not rushed to get a new desktop so im patiently waiting.

I heard intel is planning on unleashing their wrath end of april!

19. Melbourne Park, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

Melbourne Park macrumors regular

Firstly, I am wondering, why shouldn't the iMac have a new gen OLED tech screen? This is the year of their introduction into mainstream TVs ... and LG is one of the major players in that coming business ... surely the iMac should have a screen closer to Retina quality? And for such a screen, a LuiquiMetal formed chassis (said to be much lighter yet stiffer than any other metal technology). The iPhone's SIM extraction tool is so far the only component in Apple's devices with such tech ... Or at least the frame for the screen. Liquimetal can be coloured easily too, and its stainproof evidently. Ideal for Macbooks, but for starters, how about the iMac?

I agree with the rest ... like USB 3.0 is so obvious, it really makes me wonder why Apple did not introduce it 18 months ago ... your list of things seem to me to be pretty basic.

20. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any new news on the latest update?

21. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

To my awareness there aren't any commercially available displays available other than the Dell and the ACD displays that are offering any higher resolutions than 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. The iMacs display is even today in the very top end. And it is a amazing display even though it's a little bit on the old side.

Also, people are sitting about 2 or 3 feet away from a computer monitor. A retina display at that distance would cause a lot of older people to creep closer to the screen. So personally I doubt they will upgrade the screen on the iMac. :) Also, would we see up res'd icons in the Mountain Lion pack if this was the case?

22. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

It's like Groundhog Day on this forum sometimes.

23. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

24. Henriksdk macrumors newbie

I hope the new imac have inputs for playstation 3 and blu-ray for that big 27" screen, i would have bought the "old" one if it had that possibilty..

25. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

I doubt you will ever see HDMI for Apple products. Apple is moving away from wires because wireless is neater.