Buy new iMac OR keep 2011 iMac and build a PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tjmckay4, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Tjmckay4 macrumors member

Just looking for some advice for viewing photos and 4k videos.

I've got a 2011 27" iMac and I'm using a seagate thunderbolt adapter with a 120gb Samsung 850 evo SSD and an internal 3tb hard drive. The SSD is used for the OS and apps and the HD is for data. I also have a 4k TV.

Options:
    - Sell my old iMac and buy the new iMac. Persist with an external HD connected to my Nvidia Shield TV for viewing photos and 4k video.
    - Keep my old iMac and build a PC to connect to the 4k TV
    - Buy both! – new iMac and build a PC

What do you guys reckon?

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Every time I've used windows software and hardware after using the iMac, I always end up frustrated. Some sort of nonsense with the interface, a troubleshooting problem that drives me down some stupid rabbit hole. Not to say I don't have some problems/frustrations with the iMac (no HD Amazon streaming and no Blu-ray support and the occasional software problem), but the software/hardware of Apple systems still wins for just getting stuff done.

Can't you just get a streaming device from Roku, Amazon, or Apple TV? I don't know much about Apple TV, but you should be able to watch and stream all of your photos and 4K content with ease.