Buy new iMac or New Firewire Drive For Old One?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by peglegjack, Mar 24, 2016.

1. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I'm not even sure where to put this thread since it encompasses so much, but since all options involve iMacs I figured it'd be a good place to start.

I have one of the mid-07 Aluminum iMacs (2.4GHz, 120GB SSD, 6GB RAM) that I've maxed out. I've been using it to record in GarageBand using a 1TB WD My Book Studio that used FW800. Well, that drive just crapped out on me, and I have some decisions to make.

I'm at the point to where I'm really weary about putting more $ into this system. That being said, I've been considering buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-...0&sr=1-1&keywords=firewire+800+external+drive

I have some credit card points that would bring that down to about $50 or so, the problem being that it's only 5400 rpm. I don't expect too many people to know about that stuff in this thread, but I think the difference would be subtle since I don't use many tracks and my processor may be the bottleneck anyway. They also have a Western Digital FW drive that's 500GB for $70, but I will never under any circumstances buy a WD drive again. Plus I feel like I want 1TB anyway.

The other option would be to buy a new system, even though my current one works perfectly fine. It's been 8 1/2 years since I've gotten a main computer, and when I go I go hard, so I was looking at this one:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...uad-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-5k-display

Mainly because I'm also into photography, would love the bigger screen, and could probably just use the Fusion drive to record since I'm not a heavy tracker anyway.

So I guess what I'm looking for here are opinions? Thoughts? At this point, what would be the best option for me?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As you rightly point out 8 1/2 years is a long time for a computer and I would say go for the new one you won't believe the performance difference and the screen quality. Any money put into a computer that old could be lost at any time if the logic board fails and let's be honest you are getting to the only a matter of time stage with a computer that old.

Go for the new one and enjoy another 8 years computing would be my advice.

3. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Now the decision has become even harder because the same system with 256GB flash storage just popped up. Which is $100 cheaper.

Decisions...

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Before I'd put any more $$$ into a 2007 iMac -- I'd be looking at something new or Apple-refurbished.

After 9 years, well.... "it's time".

5. Bertrude macrumors member

Bertrude

If your existing Mac is still working fine and doing what you require of it, why not keep it going for now? You might be able to spend relatively little getting a new 1TB 7200rpm drive and installing it in the WD enclosure, assuming it's not the enclosure that's broken and that's it's not too difficult to open it up.

http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-my-book-opening-the-case-removing-the-drive/

Even if you get a new Mac down the line you'll still have a useful external drive - always handy for backups if nothing else. It'll have to be connected via USB or through thunderbolt to firewire adapter though. Of course, if you're fancying a new machine then I'm sure you'll enjoy having one - the 27" screen is great for photo work etc :)

6. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Well, as much as I want a new machine and even though it's every bit of energy I can muster not to get another one, I think I may stand pat for now.

I miraculously got the FW drive working again, which in my personal history I have never resurrected a failing drive. Basically, it worked well enough to be recognized for a spell in Disk Utility on my iMac, but after awhile Disk Utility just froze with it connected. So I drug out my parents old 2007 Macbook running Snow Leopard and connected it to the FW 400 port. I ran Disk Utility and while it took a couple instances of unplugging and replugging the drive, it was finally recognized by Disk Utility. From there I tried to completely format the drive, which took hours. Basically it had gone on for a couple hours by the time I had to go to work, and I thought it had frozen which was when I posted this thread. But when I got back, the drive was formatted, though not completely functional, meaning my iMac still wouldn't recognize it. Running Apple Hardware Test showed that everything was good, so the ports weren't the issue.

From there I ran Disk Warrior and managed to rebuild the directory. After transferring my content back onto the drive, I plugged it back into the iMac and it worked! So knock on wood maybe it can last a few more months until Apple releases the new iMacs with Thunderbolt 3.

Forgive me for trying to be practical :)