buy new iMac or not

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kamaferro1, Aug 4, 2014.

1. kamaferro1 macrumors newbie

I have an old iMac late 2006 working well. The problem is that I run Snow Leopard and Apple doesn't issue updates anymore and I am concerned about the security. Upgrading memory which will allow to go max to Lion I don't know if worth maybe is type to buy a new iMac. I saw a new one in Apple store ( http://store.apple.com/my/buy-mac/imac)
    kindly advice before buying better to wait for new OS Yosemite late Oct 2014, thanks so much for help

Regards

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you use the computer for?

You seem happy with your current setup, so I'd be hesitant to upgrade to a new machine if you don't have too.

Depending on your usage, the security updates may or may not be that important.

3. kamaferro1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Maflynn I am a simple user just emails, browsing and internet banking, I have been happy with my iMac since early 2007 when I bought it. I don't use Safari because very slow and no updates for SL since Chrome came out now having an issue with Chrome not updating with error 12 not solved. Better change browser and which one taking into consideration that I am unable to have Adsl in my area and use Wi-Fi key not fantastic. Thanks advice

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Unfortunately if you do things that involve media or the internet your system will become more and more of a hurdle. I have no problems doing spreadsheets, word processing, and some other tasks on old machine, but viewing some rather trivial websites and watching newer HD video just chokes it.

I'm all in favor of using old machines, but not as your sole computer. The transition to a newer machine and newer applications (often required, since lots of big stuff used in 2006 won't even run on new computers) can be a pain, and doesn't get better with time. And if you wait to the day it inevitably dies, ouch plus. That hard drive in there is only gonna last so long. OTOH, you can replace the drive in that machine; not trivial, and maybe not worth it, but doable.

Yosemite is gonna be a free upgrade for everyone, so unlike back in the Snow Leopard days you don't have to wait to buy a computer to avoid paying for a new system. iMacs, especially refurbs, are still great deals. There will always be something faster, smaller coming soon, but if you get a new one with a Fusion or SSD drive (and you should definitely do so) you'll be amazed at the speed. And you'll probably be good to go for another 7 years.

5. kamaferro1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks robgendreau, so you suggest to buy a new one, the problems is if it's the right moment because my iMac still working well the only issue was the upgrade to Lion the max I can do with this Mac and buying new RAM or was a better option to buy new iMac ? If I use a secure browser updated for SL I use now Chrome being fast comparing to slow Safari not updated. So Yosemite even if I buy now will be a free upgrade correct ? The question is if to wait for new iMac MacRumors says in buying guide caution probably something new will come out just share your advice Thanks

6. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

For this kind of use I would just keep on using your current device. Maybe install firefox or so.
    If hooking the iMac up to a mini is possible [this I do not know] you can consider buying the cheapest mini 2012 at a discount upon the release of the next mini and hook it up to your iMac using it as a screen. Anyhow I am not sure if the potential security risk outweighs the money loss. Then again if you would like a new mac hold on till the launch of new products [october or is it november].

7. kamaferro1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GranM maybe actually my only concern was the security not having updates but if I use a good browser secure maybe I can wait till new iMac. Chrome no good I like it very fast Thanks