Buy new Ipad, or wait until April for Ipad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by charlespsu, Dec 25, 2010.

1. charlespsu macrumors newbie

Just got some xmas money and looking to score an ipad. Do I get it, or wait? Honestly, what's the best move here? Any thoughts on what resell value I could get for my ipad in April??

Also - who here just uses the wifi model?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No one knows. They will still resell for a decent amount, but it will soon drop a bit.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm in the same exact boat. Parents gave me the $ to buy the iPad and let me decide whether to buy the one out now or wait for the new one. I'd only buy the Wifi model and use MyWi. Still have unlimited data for my phone so It's rather convenient.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

If you've waited this long then no harm in waiting just a little bit longer.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be honest, if I'd been given the money at Christmas for an iPad, then I'd wait another 15 weeks and get the new one.

If I'd waiting this long, another 15 ish weeks is not going to kill me, and I'd be annoyed to see my iPad drop in value almost instantly due to the new one on the horizon.

But then, it all depends if you have a desperate need for one right now.

6. sotorious macrumors 6502a

i think the major upgrade on the next gen ipad is going to be the cameras, if you can live with out the cameras then go for it.

7. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

8. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Depends whether or not you can live without cameras.

9. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I'd get it now. Unless you do FaceTime, cameras on iPads are pointless.

10. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i'm seriously doubting it'll only be updated cameras.....

i'm betting on cameras + more ram (which is all I honestly want), i'd love 128gb too but 64 is fine by me

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I just use the Wi-Fi model. To be honest the current iPad fills my needs of a web browser, an email client and just a funky gadget, my iPhone 4 fills my needs of a handy camera and a FaceTime device.

12. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Buy it now no one know when the iPad 2 will be released trust me u won't be sorry with iPad 1

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

And more RAM, no doubt.

14. fobfob macrumors 6502

Yup, I just want the iPad to be up to iPhone 4 levels including gyroscope, camera, RAM, and a square back for better grip/holding.

Basically I just want a scaled up iPhone 4. That's not too much to ask for!!

15. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I know this is just me but don't care for that gyroscope stuff. I hate playing games that rely on that stuff. But then don't like the wii or kinect either.

16. sotorious macrumors 6502a

well of course more ram, but i mean as far as a major major part. mostly everything runs smooth on it now, its not going to be anything like a total new design, or anything to make people regret buying the ipad one.

17. quixotic macrumors regular

same boat...

I was planning on getting one now, but since it's looking like a new one will be out soon, I'm waiting.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The smart thing to do is wait. Only four to five months won't kill you. If you already have an iPhone, the decision should be even easier. The ipad is nice but it's nothing you can't live without for a few months especially if you already have an iPhone. Too much overlapping functionality between the two devices.

The one noticeable difference between the ipad 1 and ipad 2, aside from the addition of a camera, will be the increased RAM. 256MB on the current ipad is clearly deficient. Yes, on the whole, the unit still runs smoothly, but it'll refresh webpages and drop apps in multitasking quite frequently. May not seem like a big deal at first, but it gets annoying (again, particularly if you have an iPhone, which has double the RAM).

19. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Got mine Dec 22. No regrets, I waited too long to begin with.

20. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Its easily worth the wait, most predictions say first quarter for the next gen so not too long now, I'm in no rush to have one but I want one so I'm waiting.
    Might not be a massive upgrade but it will be the newer version.

21. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

22. 2 Owls macrumors regular

23. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I was waiting forever, but since it will be a few months yet, I ordered a refurb from apple 2 days ago. I'm just going to use it until the new ones come out, then sell. I don't care about losing a few bucks on resale just to have one NOW :D.

24. BlakeLiebenTH macrumors member

Here's what I plan to do:

I bought a 32Gb wifi iPad yesterday, which I plan to tether to my iPhone 4 with miwi. Then, when we start seeing rumours about the iPad 2 become more frequent and more realistic, I will sell this one and impatiently await the new one :p

Honestly, I'm typing this on my new iPad, just buy it now and sell it off later; if you don't mind losing a few dollars in the process.

You're going to abolutely love it and you will still get a few (~5) months use of out of it.

That's my 2¢.

25. Built macrumors 68020

If iPad2 comes in 128GB, I'll pull the trigger on it, though I LOVE my original iPad.

Figure I can always use the original iPad at home and iPad2 on the road. In the meantime, I haven't had ONE SECOND of buyer's remorse with my iPad...LOVE IT...and if the iPad2 doesn't have anything new other than a camera, I'll stick with this one.