buy new iphone and cancel contract total cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soni2926, Jan 19, 2009.

1. soni2926 macrumors member

Hi,
    If I wanted to buy a new iphone 8gig and then cancel the contract, i'm guessing i'd have to hold the contract for at least a month, any ideas on the total cost? Reason i'm asking is something overseas wants the phone and if i pick it up i don't want the contract if i'm not going to have the phone. Heres what i came up with:
    iphone (8gig) - 199
    1 month contract - 69.99
    cancellation fee - ????
    anyone know the fee to cancel or something else i might be missing, can i cancel after 1 month and keep the phone? anyone tried it yet to get the iphone and no contract?

Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can't buy an iphone with no contract. I think the ETF is $250 (not sure), and you can cancel after a month. You should try looking on ebay also. That might save you some time.

3. lambo macrumors regular

I did it. Here's what it cost me.

$213.93 for the iPhone 3G 8GB
    $101.01 for the AT&T Bill

I then went to T-Mobile and told them to cancel my AT&T contract for me and I'd join them so I never paid the early termination fee of $170.

So for you it will cost $484.94.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's really smart. Did they add more to your bill to cover the ETF? or did they just pay it because you were signing a contract with them?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im confused, how does that get you out of an etf again? im sure att doesnt care who cancels a contract...if you cancel early, theyll hit you with an etf

or is there something i dont know?

i believe the etf is 175

6. Valkrin macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you will be paying your ETF. Just because you go to another carrier doesn't mean that you get out of paying your ETF. Might want to check with AT&T and make sure you don't have an outstanding balance.

7. deadsouls macrumors regular

lol you will obviously still have to pay the ETF

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

The AT&T ETF policy changed as of May 25, 2008 for any new contract that was signed after that date, for each month after the first 30 days, the ETF would start at $175 and be reduced by $5. The ETF is still $175 for any contract signed before that date!

Dave

9. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

well i know sometimes when signing a contract with other carriers they will want your business ( or at least that is how it is near me) where t-mobile will say, if you come to our service then WE will pay your early termination . i know that had happened to one of my friends that was one verizon but wanted to go on tmobile for their sidekick phone

so .... maybe that is what the OP weas talking about when he said that tmobile said that they would cancel his AT&T contract for them.

:apple:k:apple:

10. lambo macrumors regular

It's been over four months and I never paid the ETF. :p

11. aerospace macrumors 6502a

If you joined tmobile they would be paying $200+ subsidy on whatever phone you pick, so paying your 175 ETF is cheaper on their part.

I would bet 90% of the reps you ask wouldn't do it, might have to speak to the store mgr.