Buy new iPhone right away? or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theman510, May 13, 2009.

  1. theman510 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #1
    I'm on verizon right now and i'm just waiting until the new iphone comes out before i make the switch. however, i'm wondering if i should try and get one as soon as it comes out, or would it be wiser to wait a bit? is it likely that the first batch of new iphones sold will have problems with them that will be worked out in about a month or so? if there is a problem with the new iphones that gets fixed with future batches, would apple exchange the original one i bought for a new one? does it take time for apple to work the kinks out when a new iphone is released?
     
  2. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

    vivithemage

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    #2
    This question is asked every 2-3 days. Search will help you out, ALOT with this question.
     
  3. theman510 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    I didn't mean buying one today or waiting for the new one to come out. Rather, once the new one comes out are there typically problems with initial releases of the phone? If so, I might wait a bit for them to get worked out.

    I searched but all the results showed people asking if they should get an iphone now or wait, which was not my question. If similar questions to mine have been asked and answered, I apologize but I didn't see them when I searched.

    Thanks!
     
  4. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

    vivithemage

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    #4
    Look at the last 2 launches...most issues were resolved with software updates.
     
  5. JDee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #5
    Don't buy it now - even if you need it.

    Wait 26 days and see what Apple are releasing in their WWDC on June 8th.

    There will be barely any initial bugs, and it doesn't matter really as the future Software Updates will sort out those problems.
     
  6. theman510 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #6
    ok thanks that's what i was wondering
     
  7. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #7
    Would this work? Buy an iPhone now, then sell it to subsidize the purchase of a new one when it comes out?
     
  8. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

    vivithemage

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    #8
    Try doing the math?

    cost of phone+early termination+etc, etc.
     
  9. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #9
    yeah, since you're the expert, you shouldn't do what i suggest.
     
  10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #10
    Even for those now with an iPHone 3G - Even if you can get the costs - O2 and other carriers aren't making it clear what there updgrade plan would be, or costs for a new contract. They await Apple to say there's a new phone, and to announce it.
     
  11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #11
    You might want to wait a few days. Especially if they release the 3.0 software the same day. When they released the 3G iPhone and the 2.0 software last year it was quite the mess. Long delays to activate, etc.
     
  12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #12
    This was also due to the leaked version of 2.0 that was downloadable the night before...servers weren't ready to handle the load because it wasn't supposed to be there yet.
     
  13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #13
    Regardless of what the reason, when I updated my iPhone to 2.0 software, it was bricked for several hours waiting for the servers. I will wait a few days before I update to 3.0.
     
  14. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

    patrickdunn

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #14
    Can we please make this a sticky so it is not asked anymore. *Disclaimer: The below is based on the assumption that a new one is even coming out. All we know fo sho is that they are releasing OS 3.0.*

    Ok select which one is you, then you will find the answer:

    • If you don't mind having the latest and greatest
    • If phones arn't status symbols to you
    • If you don't need a compass on your cell phone
    • If your fine with paying $99 for a refurb
    • If you don't need more than 16gb of storage
    • If you won't hate yourself when a new iPhone possibly comes out within 2 months

    Then.... Go out right now and buy the current iPhone 3G

    If:
    • You have to have the newest
    • Need 32gb for your apps/movies/music
    • Want to be "the first person with the "NEW" iPhone"
    • If you will be so upset that you will post "OMG, I just bought the iPhone 3G and Apple just released a new one. Apple sux" when the new one comes out"
    • Want the possiblity of a much faster processor on your phone

    Then just wait until WWDC when *hopefully* they unveil the new phone.
     
  15. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #15
    or medication.
     
  16. theNEOone macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    Did you read his question? I think people have reading comprehension issues...

    OP - you might as well wait a week or two after the new iphone is released. I stood in line for 3 hours for the original iphone thinking that it would be sold out, only to find that I could stroll into the Apple store the next day and purchase one without the wait. For the 3G phone, the fact that there WAS a ridiculous wait actually turned out to be a blessing. Having waited for the original phone, I didn't want to waste my time waiting in line for the 3G. I thought that after a day or two, I'd be able to stroll in and buy one without waiting. Boy was I wrong...even after a week, there were still 1-2 hour waits to get the stupid phone. During this week I read about the battery issues, poor build quality issues (screens, light leaks, etc) and decided to stick with my original.

    Moral of the story. It doesn't hurt to wait.


    =|
     
  17. WarEagle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Atlanta, Ga
    #17
    The OP was not asking if they should get the 3G or wait to see if a new phone was coming out they were asking if they should get the yet to be released iPhone within a few days of it coming out or if they should wait to get the phone after the first rush happens. This is a great question. I got my edge iPhone a few months after it came out and I still have that phone. I would like to hear some stories from people who got the Edge or 3G phone the first day or close to the first launch.
     
  18. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

    patrickdunn

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
  19. albeli macrumors 6502

    albeli

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    Location:
    Here
    #19
    I got my 3G on launch day and was happy I did so.
     
  20. CarlyLyon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2009
    #20
    wait until after the launch of the 3.0 software is a good idea wait until the kinks and the slow connections for download are done (from the crazy fans of iphone who just have to get the earliest version of update) the bugs will be worked out and then download it a few days later or but the phone then....
     

Share This Page