Buy new Mac, get gift card or iPod?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nuts4Mac, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Nuts4Mac macrumors newbie

The back to school sale is going to be back this year. I loved it when you got a new iPod with purchase of new mac. I'd like the iPod over the gift card. I have received 4 free iPods in the past through this deal Apple offered and its a real help to resell after making a big purchase. I have heard of decent success selling gift cards though. You get about 95% of there value on eBay.

However, an iPod would be better use for a student than a gift card. Much software is already offered by schools. Maybe if we had the option to choose what we wanted. What are your thoughts? What would you like to see Apple do?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

It was a good incentive for people who were familiar with iPods, so that they'd be more inclined to go Mac. But this day in age, it's not really necessary (and definitely costly from Apple's point of view).

Plus, a lot of people nowadays have iPods or iPhones (especially if they're looking to buy a Mac), so an App Store giftcard (which can be used for iTunes too) could be more useful.

I already have an iPhone and iPod Nano, I don't need another iPod :p

But then again, you do raise a solid point. My university provides all sorts of software for free or cheap. So the App Store gift card isn't particularly useful to me. I also use Netflix and Pandora for movies/music, so using it for iTunes isn't that great either.

I think a free Apple TV would be good though!