Buy New Mac Pro or wait and possible update in 6 months?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Greenhoe, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy one of the New Mac Pros although I would like the config higher end config although I don't like such a low clock speed, I currently have a MBP which has been doing great, but i've been waiting for this update for some time, I was wondering do you think apple may bump up the specs with a minor upgrade to the mac pros in 6 months or so or do you think we will have to wait till a year or so for the new models.

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Honestly I'd get it now. If you're always waiting for a possible boost/revision you'll never get anything. :D

If it's what will be useful for you, go for it.

3. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

TRANSLATION:

"If one of you guys could just predict the future for me, we'd be rich!"

;)

There's always going to be upgrades, that's one thing you can be sure of...

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

what if Apple upgrades it in a year's time like before? :D happy waiting!

5. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

"But What If"

"But What If"

"But What If"

You can't go through life saying "But What If"!

You need to 'Seize the Day' and get on with it....

Just my humble opinion

6. BConvery macrumors regular

No disrespect to the OP....but what number would make you "feel good"? Its a completely different architecture so its comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges. At least wait for the Barefeats comparison to look at the tasks that you need done and then decide.

I'm jumping in because I tired of the single frame rates while playing Wow and the wait with the iPhoto and iMovie stuff we do. A lot of peoples' livelihoods depend on their Mac's.....I just depend on it for my eff off time, which is as important to me as the time I put in at work.

My $.02

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Or in my case, sieze the day and be in massive amounts of debt :(

8. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

9. The Ditch macrumors newbie

I don't understand the waiting mentality, if it's been a year or more and there is definitely a update coming wait. On the other hand, you're ALWAYS going to be waiting, there is always something newer and better that's going to be coming out, so where do you draw the line?

10. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Don't take my word for it but I can see Apple lowering the prices by 10-20% in the fall and spec bumping the machines.

E5520 2.26GHz -> E5530 2.4GHz
    X5550 2.66GHz -> X5560 2.8GHz
    X5570 2.93GHz -> W5580 3.2GHz

and on the Quad:
    X3550 2.66GHz ->X3560 2.8GHx base with optional 3.2GHz and official support for 16GB (4x4GB)

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The market for the Mac Pro counts on manufacturers not to outdate their system in any less than 9 months to a year.

Thus, the Mac Pro is updated far less than any other model would be.

Therefore, we will not see another update of any sort whatsoever to the actual hardware of the machine until Westmere in Q2 2010.

12. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

14. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I would just pick up last years model.

That way you never get that sinking my mac is out of date feeling.

Because it would already be out of date.

A much better deal too. :cool:

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously doubt this will change.

OP: Less than 24 hours after a major update comes you want to ask "buy now or wait"? You belong over at www.dell.com.

16. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Damn thats harsh! :eek:

17. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Buy now and they'll bump the speed or drop the price in 3 months, wait for an update and they'll change nothing for more than a year. You cannot win!

18. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I laughed.

Buy it if you need it.

19. Wormy23 macrumors member

It's always best to buy Apple products just after they're announced. They won't drop prices until the new spec bump and who knows when that could be. Also, Apple got these processors from Intel before ANYONE else got them. They're brand-spankin' new! Best time to buy is now!

20. kaks macrumors member

wait if you can. If you do everything you need with your MBP for now, then wait.

I can see apple upgrading the 2.26 to the 2.66, maybe with snow leopard release, or in july? That is you wont need another 1000 for the upgrade.

Intel is suppose to announce the 8 core chips this month, (if they havent already and i missed it). Until i know that it wont be until next year that the 8 core chips will start shipping im rethinking of buying one myself :). Even though im soooooo tempted :p.

Besides until people get the new one and start using it, benchmarks start showing up dont buy. Give it 2-3 weeks and then decide.

Its a very very very fast machine. And im guessing youll be using it for a couple of years before you consider a new one. Just wait and hear the initial reviews and opinions and then decide...that is 2-3 weeks?

If you need it for now though, buy it. I would if i needed it now, honestly. Wouldn't wait :).

(i probably need it, in 2-3 months so mostly thats why im waiting to be completely honest, i went to the apple store today and was toying with the idea - it looks awesome (design wise only since the new one wasnt on display ;p).

21. kaks macrumors member

good point :)

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I thought this was funny too. Not meaning to be mean but the major update lots of people were waiting for JUST CAME OUT. If we see another update this year it will be just incremental bumps, not another new architecture like this. If you have to ask "buy now or wait" after every update this big, you're going to be waiting the rest of your life.

However, if you don't NEED a new machine this minute, it couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks just to see what people are saying, but I wouldn't wait any longer if I had already been waiting for a big update like this. I waited what felt like a long time for the original Mac Pro to come out since I wanted an Intel machine and could afford to wait the little extra time for it to come out. And the machine was top-of-the-line for quite a while too. In fact it still doesn't feel very old.

23. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

To be honest, I don't think it's changed that much, in August 2002 I got a 'G4 Dual Optical' with a 17" apple flat screen, and with a minor memory upgrade, I think it cost me about £2,300 UK Pounds ($3,250usd/€2,580 euros).
    Click Here For The Spec

And now I can get a MP Quad-Core with a 24" apple flat screen for £2,534.00 UK Pounds ($3,570usd/€2,840 euros)

So, in 6 and a Half Years, I'm going to get a better/faster machine, with a bigger/nicer screen, that will hopefully last me just as long for roughly, a couple of hundred more.

But you know what I really want?
    To find a caring home or a use for my beloved old G4. :)

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

What more do I want?? I want a 2.66ghz version of the 8 core nehalem Mac Pro + 24" LED ACD for $3500-$3600. Not the quad which isnt even a gainstown true server grade and only can take 8gb of RAM... c'mon for God's sake.. 8gb of ram limitation?? I mean even the new 17" mbp can do 8 or the imacs.

25. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Jeezus, that's all I hear from you people,

I Want, I Want, I Want! ;)

So, you have to do as I do...

Do some more paper rounds (daily news paper delivery, door to door, on a bicycle), and save up the money!

I have two on the go at the moment, outside of my normal hi-end/wall street video graphic design job *COUGH* (65K per year).

And they're both up hill....!!

;):)