Buy new MBP from Ebay, yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lehcim, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lehcim macrumors member

MBP 15 will be my first Mac, after iPhone and iPad, and before iMac 27! :)

But I would need some advice before buying it:

- I've seen some good deals on Ebay here in the UK, compared to Apple Store prices, how can I be sure about the warranty ?
    Several sellers claim 1 year Apple warranty, how can I be sure about that ?
    If I buy from one of these sellers, will I be able to buy Applecare from an Apple Store during the first year ?

- If I buy an US MBP, will the warranty be valid at an Apple Store in the UK ?
    And again, is it possible to buy Applecare from an UK Apple Store to an US MBP ?

Sorry for my noob questions but I would like to be sure about these things, many thanks in advance.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just save your money a bit longer and buy from a retailer. Buying expensive item especially overseas from eBay is a scary prospect.

3. Lehcim thread starter macrumors member

You're certainly right...

I was trying to save some money and only considering UK sellers, but to avoid any possible future issue if I need to activate any warranty I will probably buy directly from Apple...

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

- well it always depends on when the MBP was purchased. But with the 2011 models, every single one available will still have warranty as they were released on Feb 24 2011. best thing is if you get the seller to send you the serial number, or better a picture of the machine which is showing the serial number, so that you can check the warranty status online on the apple website.
    - you can add applecare anytime during the first year after purchase. So if your warranty runs out lets say 14th march 2012, you can purchase it on the 11th and its still fine, i think you can even purchase it on the day it runs out.
    - You can go to an apple store anywhere around world and your warranty is valid. Yes you can add applecare to a US MBP in the UK, given that it still has warranty.

5. Lehcim thread starter macrumors member

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would not buy a MBP from ebay no matter what. there is too much risk involved to get scammed.

if the deal is really good then it's most likely a scam because nobody would sell a MBP below market price.

if the savings are only 100 bucks it's not worth the risk anyway.

even experienced ebayers got scammed. don't do it unless you know the seller, can meet in person, know that the seller also has a brick and mortar store. but in those cases you save less than 10%.

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I've bought ALL, except one Mac from eBay. New, unopened and at a huge discount. Just common sense, don't buy from a new user with no feedback, stick with established sellers, look for suspicious listings. Not that hard.

I've gotten a few base model 17 inch MBP's for $1900-$2200. Fairly common. I would never pay full price for a Mac.

Don't like eBay? Try Amazon, MacMall, etc.

8. Lehcim thread starter macrumors member

dlimes13 many thanks for your opinion.

Do you know exactly how works the Apple warranty on these Macs bought from Ebay sellers ?
    I'm confused when they say "1 year Apple warranty", 1 year from when ?
    Will they provide any invoice that Apple will accept or will Apple simply use the SN of the Mac ?
    But in the case of using the SN, how will Apple know when I've bought it ?

Sorry for all these questions.

9. ct95 macrumors regular

I would buy a refurb model direct from Apple before ebay. Same warranty, backed by Apple and no risk of being scammed. Perhaps savings are not as much as ebay, but it's worth the peace of mind.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly, I agree completely. Seriously, OP, if you want savings and security (and peace of mind) I'd suggest that you consider a refurb from Apple; it is legitimate, and you have the benefit of Apple's warranties as well.

Personally, - while I know that there have been success stories and satisfied customers - I would never buy a computer - especially an overseas purchase - from Ebay. The risk of being scammed is just too high.

11. Sluggyman macrumors member

Hey.

I brought my 15" MBP of an eBay trader. Its a US Model so like the different shape return key but I had an issue with the hard drive and so I booked my appointment and they just looked at it and no questions asked. I got mine for £1179 instead of the £1549 on the Apple Store and I then used some of the money saved to buy apps and programs ect. I think that if you find a reliable trader that has sold loads and got the feedback then go for it!. This is just my opinion but I saved the money and I'm loving it. :D

Kieran