Buy new MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidbf1, Apr 6, 2014.

  1. davidbf1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    #1
    Hi, I;m heading to NYC in 4 week's time, and with the UK£:US$ rate, was planning on picking up a new 15" MBP retina.
    However, just wondering if there's major updates coming later in the year?
    I don't do any heavy processing - no video editing and only "light" work with Lightroom etc. My mid-2009 15" MBP has, and is, serving me well albeit the 250gb drive is now pretty full and I've got lots hived-off onto external HDD. just fancy treating myself to new machine, retina screen for photo work and the newer faster processors.
    If I purchased current 15" MBP retina it will be more than enough to meet my needs, but there's a side of me that will kick myself when/if updates follow later in the year - although I would be back in UK and the "deal" would not be as sweet.

    Thoughts welcomed

    David
     
  2. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    My suggestion would be, if you need a laptop now, buy it now. If you're going to keep on waiting until the new one is released, you'll never get one. The rMBPs that are out now are great. They're not old or outdated and they won't be even if the new ones were to come out. The rMBPs are great laptops, I recommend them to anyone.
     
  3. macrumordude, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

    macrumordude macrumors member

    macrumordude

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    Location:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #3
  4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2010
    #4
    Get one now. When the new one comes out, sell the one you have and buy the new version. That way you will always be up to date.
     
  5. simon48 macrumors 65816

    simon48

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    #5
  6. macrumordude macrumors member

    macrumordude

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    Location:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #6
    Could it be possible, announce in June at WWDC and release in Sept? My wishful thinking.:)
     
  7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

    dmccloud

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    #7
    No. Any update this year will be a minor spec bump, due to delays in Intel's Broadwell platform. Also, Apple doesn't tend to announce hardware at WWDC except in certain cases. The Latin post article references another site, and even they don't offer any specifics other than the possibility of DDR4. What that site fails to mention is that Micron just announced the DDR4 platform last month, and it will take 6-12 months to move from spec announcement to any sort of meaningful production, let alone enough to fill the needs of a company like Apple. Since Haswell does not support DDR4, the upcoming spec bump will stick with DDR3.
     
  8. macrumordude macrumors member

    macrumordude

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    Location:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #8
    Thanks for the info.
     

Share This Page