Buy new "old" macbook pro 2.5Ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by musica, May 11, 2009.

1. musica macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new macbook (pro) and I found a shop where they still have some early 2008 macbook pro's 2.5Ghz. The new unibody MB pro 2.4 Ghz is about 300 Euro ($ 407) more expensive. Would it be worth spending so much more money on the new MB pro or should I buy the "old" one? I'm also considering buying the unibody 13 inch 2.4 Ghz which is the same price as the "old" mackbook pro.

I'm not using it for processing video etc...

Do you have some good advice? Thanks!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For your needs the older macbook pro would suffice. Both the new and old macbook pro's are excellent machines and should give you years of use.

The only thing that you might want to take into consideration is when Snow Leopard comes out more benefit will be seen by the new macbook pro.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And a lot of people have reported problems with the nvidia 8600 graphics chip on the prior generation MBP's. Make danged sure you get applecare on it.

4. lucamacis macrumors member

I would also go for the old MacBook pro. It's fast and the 300 euro's you save you can use to upgrade the ram to 4GB and buy an external 24" monitor if you wanted. Well worth the money saved if you ask me.

5. musica thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys! But what about the mentioned problems...does the old one has more problems indeed?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Its just a select few batches of graphics cards. When you buy any macbook you are given one year Apple Care, so hopefully if the graphics card was to fail it would in the first year.

You can also extend it by another 2 years by purchasing Apple Care after the initial year thus covering yourself for 3 years total.

7. kid rock macrumors regular

Does it have the 256 or 512 graphics card? I did what you are thinking about and bought the older one in late November last year!