Buy new or upgrade old Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i-sidd, Mar 3, 2010.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I bought my macbook in early 2007 and its a 2 GHz Inter Core Duo, 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I am getting to a point where thinks have become very slow.

Should I buy a new macbook or upgrade more RAM and new OS Snow Leopard. Will that make a difference. I feel like safari has adware or some kind of virus. It keeps popping wierd websites and redirecting. Overall I feel the laptop has become very slow. The pinwheel shows up more often than not.

Sow what do you guys suggest.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For the minimal cost of RAM, I would go with upgrading the RAM. 512mb does not seem a lot when running Leopard.

If after upgrading your RAM you still have problems think about reinstalling your OS, either Leopard or SL and you should see a good speed increase.

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

What RAM should I be buying and from where? If anyone could provide me with a link it would be great.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I get these RAM at bestbuy or any other B&M store and if so which ones carry them.

Also, how do I know which RAM is for which model of Macbook my model says Macbook 1,1

I guess I can upgrade only upto 2GB, will I see any significant difference.

Thanks

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Your best bet would be to visit the Crucial website and download the system scanner. It will tell you exactly what RAM you need and what's the maximum your should buy for your computer.

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Upgrade the RAM, and you will notice MUCH faster performance.