Buy new or Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driverpt, Oct 16, 2015.

?

Buy or upgrade

Poll closed Oct 30, 2015.
  1. Buy new

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Upgrade

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. driverpt macrumors newbie

Hello people,

I'm in a dilemma, i have a Mid-2011 21.5'' iMac which i use for Programming/Web Development only.

It has 8 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD, and i was thinking of either buy a new iMac (very expensive) or upgrade this one (16 GB RAM and SSD).

The new iMac with 16 GB RAM + SSD is around 2k€ which i think it's very expensive and the RAM and Hard Drive are not-replaceable.

What should i do?

Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What will the new iMac give you over your current setup? I think your stated usage, is such that the 2011 iMac is still a very capable machine. Maybe upgrade the storage to a SSD

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Unless you are using VM's you probably won't need 16GB RAM either just go with an SSD upgrade and see how it goes, if you need more RAM do that later on.

4. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

Personally I would go for the upgrades to your existing machine right now. Based on your usage, an SSD and upgrade to 16GB Ram is going to breathe new life into that machine that will be significant.

I would save the money for a more significant upgrade in a couple of years, by which time we will have likely seen a re-design, TB3, SSDs at a cheaper price point etc etc......

5. driverpt thread starter macrumors newbie

Richie2000, Apple and Cheap/Cheaper are two words that just don't match :p

6. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

Very true!