Buy new or upgrade

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
I have an early 2011 MBP. I have upgraded the ram on the computer but I am looking at some feedback on whether or not if I should drop an SSD in the computer. For those of you that have done this, was it worth it versus just buying a new computer?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
SSD for most basic users will absolutely change their user experience.

How do you use your MBP?

Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I dropped one in my 2006 Macbook about 4 years ago. It made a huge difference. It still feels a bit snappy but sadly the CPU isn't up to snuff. It seems to ramp up and get the fan whirring on simple web pages. Although this is due to Flash mostly. When I switch the user agent in Chrome or Firefox to iPad it snaps right along.

Comment

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have an early 2011 MBP. I have upgraded the ram on the computer but I am looking at some feedback on whether or not if I should drop an SSD in the computer. For those of you that have done this, was it worth it versus just buying a new computer?
Simply the best upgrade for user experience available, it'll be better than new.

Comment

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
SSD for most basic users will absolutely change their user experience.

How do you use your MBP?
I use it mostly for home use, surfing the web, email, iTunes, Adobe Acrobat Pro, MS Office. Nothing serious that is going to be too demanding of power.

Comment

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use it mostly for home use, surfing the web, email, iTunes, Adobe Acrobat Pro, MS Office. Nothing serious that is going to be too demanding of power.
I have a 2010 MBP that I have upgraded with an SSD. It made a big difference. Plus I do a lot more on my MBP than you plan on doing. Will give your MBP a couple more years of use and feel like a new machine. Nice improvement to your MBP especially if you can not afford a new one at the moment.

Last edited:
Comment

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I would highly suggest a SSD drive - how much storage do you need?

Comment

charlyham

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I put a Samsung EVO in my 2010 White Macbook and immediately saw a big performance boost even though the Macbook SATA interface is slower than the drive. I would recommend it.

Comment

glenthompson

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
I have a late 2011 MBP and the SSD upgrade was the best upgrade I have everyone to a computer. With SSD prices being fairly low, it is worth making the upgrade compared to the cost of a new MBP. I have used Samsung in my MBP and my wife's iMac. Both have worked flawlessly for a couple of years.

Comment

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I am thinking maybe 256gb? most of my files are in the cloud these days anyway. Any preference in brand?
Not a whole lot - just one of the common brands. I would recommend getting a 256 around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. You can get a Samsung / Crucial for around $80 right now - should find a deal sub $70 then.

Comment

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Not a whole lot - just one of the common brands. I would recommend getting a 256 around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. You can get a Samsung / Crucial for around $80 right now - should find a deal sub $70 then.
awesome, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Cheers!

Comment

CostaMoses

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2014
OP, I had the same computer as you and about a year and a half ago I put a Crucial 256 GB SSD in there and it was night and day. The thing felt better than brand new.

Since then I bought a mid 2015 15" rMBP and this thing blows away the 2011 MPB. If you have a good size budget, go for a new machine (any of the rMBP or Airs are great). If you are saving, go for the SSD and your computer will last you at least another year or two.

Comment

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The Crucial or Samsung will give it another year or even two, depending on your usage-scenario.
New laptops then will be even faster than the new ones today (or, this being Apple, they'll be much thinner at least...).
A new MacBook(Pro) or Air will have a much better battery-life. If that is not really important, I'd wait at least until the whole line has fully switched to SkyLake (which will probably drag-on until mid-2016).

Comment

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Thule GL @ the TOW
I have a late 2011 13" MBP and I installed a crucial 512Gb SSD in it that greatly improved the performance...that was back when 512Gb SSD's were still upwards of $500 and I had gotten it on an Amazon lighting sale of $320 about 2 years ago.

I'm still running this machine in my house as a family laptop with multi profiles on it due to the space of the SSD; FYI I also have 8 Gb RAM installed and I don't see needing anything newer for the foreseeable future.

Our travel laptop is a 2013 11.6" MBA so this one goes around the house and the park across the street.

Comment