Buy new or upgrade...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rcsmom, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rcsmom macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I just need some advice from knowledgeable persons, such as yourself...

We have an iBook, from 2004 I believe. STILL running on Mac OSX 10.3.9. We can no longer get software updates, our flash player/adobe no longer is compatible with just about everything, and I'm getting rather frustrated. We need a serious update.

Would you invest in an update to whatever system we can run on, or look into a new computer altogether? Obviously we don't want to spend a lot, but which is more economical?

TIA!!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's an G3 it can run up to 10.4.11/Tiger. If G4 10.5.8/Leopard. It is starting to get hard to find a Tiger cd on eBay. Leopard is still easy to find. But because it's a PPC and they are being phased out I would suggest for you to get the white Macbook, about US$999. It's Intel, runs much much faster, and will be able to use the latest and greatest for sometime.

3. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

I hate to say it but its time for a new computer. That iBook lasted you 6 years, it may have a year or two left in it. The first place older machines show their age is browsing the internet, flash is a killer for older computers on the net.
    A refurbished MacBook could do the trick one could be had for $850. It is safe to assume you would should get as many years out of a new laptop as you did your old one.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I agree, its time for a new book.

You could try throwing 10.4 on it if you can find it cheap, but its not going to fix anything.

Where are you in the world?

In the USA near a Microcenter? They have brand new Macbooks for $800 and several places, like macconnection, have them for $900AR.

Both cheaper than refurbs.

5. rcsmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my only reason to NOT get a new computer is that our 1 year old daughter LOVES to try to play on it. She's constantly banging on the keys, pulling out the charger plug, and she's even popped a key off. I've bought her 3 baby/kid cpu's, but she still wants mom's and dad's.

If I can get another system to hold out until she gets a bit older, I'd rather do that, if it would work. It is a G4 version, so maybe I'll look for Leopard.

And yes I'm in the states, but not sure of where one of those centers are, that would have been the first time of hearing of it. I will look into it though.

Thanks to those who responded.:)

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Well, let her have the iBook =)

If you are familiar with Windows, you could look into a $300 netbook for your 1 year old.

Even though I gave My girls (3 and 5) a 20" Intel iMac they still love my wifes macbook.

easiest way to find a microcenter: http://www.microcenter.com/

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

No matter how much you upgrade that ibook, it's still going to perform poorly as soon as you introduce it to any flash. If you had asked 3 years ago I would've told you that your iBook definitely has life in it, but in 2010 it's just not worth the money to upgrade. Maybe it can become your daughter's new toy?

PS: I probably have the same exact iBook as you. Since my main computer is an iMac, my iBook is great whenever I need to travel. Other than that it sits under my bed gathering dust.