Buy new release of MBP or wait ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danoftroy, Oct 24, 2011.

  1. danoftroy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    #1
    I posted this earlier under MBP - Desktop, but did not see that it should have been posted here, under MBP - notebook.

    This is what I have:
    15-inch MacBook Pro (Model Identifier 5.1)
    Processor: 2.53 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 Video Card
    286.55 GB Hard drive
    19.58 Free
    If I had to guess, I purchased it around Feb. of 2009

    There are several reasons I want and need a new MBP. Some are hardware issues. As you can tell I only have 19GB free so I will soon have to burn some items to iCloud or DVDs to store pictures, videos, etc.

    I also have some issues and questions about the stability of the laptop.

    Obviously the newest version of MBP beats mine on specs, but I don't know if I should go now or wait until June of 2012 for what may be a total redesign. I can create more hard drive space, but I was hoping it would be January, not July, before the next biggest and greatest MBP.

    Please give me your two-cents worth.

    I use mine in an office setting, from creating videos to much photo editing to word processing to spreadsheets, you name it. I am probably on my MBP including at home, 6-10 hours a day.

    Thanks,

    Dan of Troy
    (No relation to Helen)
     
  2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    #2
    So you mention two issues.

    The first is hard drive space, which you could easily resolve yourself for about 80-100 bucks if you want a 500-750GB 7200RPM drive that you can install yourself.

    The other issue is something about "stability" which you don't detail.

    Considering these "issues", you should likely just wait, and upgrade your hard drive.
     
  3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #3
    Well you could upgrade the HDD and put 8GB (2x4GB) RAM in your current MBP and ride it out till it gets updated next year or you could upgrade now. It's up to you. If you need a newer faster machine get it now otherwise I'd try to extend the life of your current machine a bit longer.
     
  4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #4
    with what ur doing u dont even need a new computer. ur macbook can last you another 2 years or more if u want it to

    jus tupgrade the hard drive to a higher capacity one, or even SSD if u want boosted peformance.

    upgrade the ram, also inexpensive

    way cheaper then buying a whole new computer
     
  5. MVRL macrumors regular

    MVRL

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #5
    the main issue you have listed here is hdd space

    as ppl have already said above, it's easily, easily resolved, buy an external hdd for 80 bucks, done deal! You simply don't need a new laptop for that.

    For OS stability issues, you could add RAM or simply backup everything and do a fresh install. Done and you end up saving 20 large.

    There's absolutely no need to upgrade considering the issues you have listed.
     
  6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #6
    Here is my thought on the buy now vs wait theory. As a long time Powerbook / Macbook Pro user I have noticed that the last version of the notebook before a redesign are usually the ones with the fewest issues. The most stable. They may not have the new sexy-ness, but they are solid and dependable. All issues have been worked out.

    The new version is likely to have a few more issues, something that needs to be tweaked by the engineers in the next revision to make it better. Also Apple will deny any sort of issue, because thats what they do. That said you will have the newest coolest computer.

    So the question really is are you someone who values dependability and longevity, and someone who wants a flashy new computer with the wow factor.
     
  7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

    yusukeaoki

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #7
    Stated above me.
    Everything new by Apple has issues.
    The Early 2011 MBP 17in had SATA III issue.
    iPhone 4 had connection issue.
    See?

    And then everything gets resolved on the second one.
    iPhone 4S, Late 2011 MBP, etc etc

    I wouldnt be surprised if I see problems in the 2012 refresh and got it fixed by late 2012 refresh :/
     
  8. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    #8
    Honestly, I'd hold it off for a few more years if I were you, no need to splurge that much money on a new laptop when yours can be revived with some simple upgrades.

    I took the time to find you what you need.

    First off, Seagate 7200rpm 500GB Hard drive for $89 to help with your 19GB's left issue.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B001R4BBLU

    I would also recommend grabbing 8GB's of RAM from Kensington for $48, as it's ridiculously cheap compared to what it was a few months back.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B001PS9UKW

    That makes the total upgrade roughly $140, and you should have no problems doing your daily tasks that you stated at least for another two years.
     
  9. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

    tahoeroscoe

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #9
    i'm with twiggy, solid advice. I have the same model MBP as you and just upgraded my RAM and got an SSD, it's like a new computer.

    Don't have to wait a few years but what was just released is a very minor spec bump. We should see the next major upgrade in spring 2012 with ivy bridge.

    If you need a quick fix, just get a bigger HDD/SDD and more ram if you need it. Both cheap and easy.

    I would recommend you wait until the next major MBP upgrade which shouldn't be more than a few months away.
     
  10. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #10
    Similar situation...

    Which one to buy:

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Originally released April 2010
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

    $869.00

    or

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5
    Originally released February 2011
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM

    $929.00

    I would be installing (myself) 8GB ram and and SSD in either of them.

    Any problems that you notice with the either 2010 or 2011?
     
  11. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

    tahoeroscoe

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #11
    i5 is big step up from c2d, worth the money. not sure of the difference in GPUs
     
  12. tears2040 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2010
    #12

    Why in the world would you buy an outdated 2010 model? Secondly to the op you need an external drive so you can dump all of your garbage. Then upgrade your Hard Drive to 500gb 7200 rpm internally and up your ram to 8gb.

    There's your upgrade, no need for a new computer.
     
  13. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #13
    No OpenCL support for the 2011 is one reason. Does the i5 make up for this?
     
  14. tears2040 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2010
    #14
    Why do you need OpenCL?

    I think you people are living in a imagination world....
     
  15. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
  16. tears2040, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

    tears2040 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2010
    #16
    Of course it is! Just by the very fact that having a thunderbolt port is similar to an express slot which will open the doors for so many future peripherals it's insane.

    I mean yeah you might need an external monitor for certain functions ( like the graphics card expansion) but I honestly have no idea how anyone cannot see the beauty that thunderbolt will bring.

    Finally the cpu in the 2011 is a lot better than the 2010 version.

    Look at this device (Coming Next Month, November)
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

    It basically adds an express card slot to any thunderbolt connection, which in turn now I can use an eSata card to connect eSata hard Drives which are a lot faster than firewire 800. This thunderbolt technology is amazing and I honestly have no idea why more people here are not talking about it.

    People pay money to send their iMac to owc for an eSata mod, with this adapter you can buy an eSata card now and no longer have to do any of that.
     

Share This Page