Buy new Retina MBP now or wait for update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imageWIS, Apr 16, 2014.

1. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

Should I buy a new Retina MBP now or wait for update? Will the difference be truly worth the wait? Due to Intel's uncertain roadmap for portable chips, I'm not sure if the update will be coming up in May or closer to Fall 14'... :confused:

2. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

How long have you been waiting? I think its always worth the wait... but if it's been a while that you wanted one than just go get it and enjoy!

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just buy it now.

No one - perhaps not even Apple - know when they'll be updated.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need one now, don't let some silly update stop you from getting the computer that you need.

5. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Buy now, ebay later. If Kuo hits the nail, the next Haswell (slight) speed bump will be around October after the iPhone 6 and the more significant Broadwell refresh will be Spring next year (this will be totally up to Intel's delays).

6. Fondaparinux macrumors member

That was back in Febuary. Perhaps they know it by now.

----------

I'm buying one by the time WWDC 2014 hits, refreshed or not.

I've been waiting for months and I simply can't wait any longer.

7. moxxey macrumors regular

What update? It's all guesswork right now. No-one knows when or what we'll get.

Although I have a Haswell 13" rMBP, I also own a first revision 2011 15" rMBP and, so far, haven't updated it and, you know what, I'm not missing out a great deal? Slightly better battery life, but after reading pages and pages on how the Haswell MBP panels were so poor, I'm happy to keep my first revision 15" rMBP. An "upgrade" doesn't necessarily mean "better laptop".

8. imageWIS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up pulling the trigger, as my 2011 MBA (already sold), wasn't cutting it anymore. Hopefully they have solved the panel issue now that its been 6 months after release and I'll get a perfectly good panel... regardless if it was made by LG or Samsung.

9. vigorito macrumors regular

hi im planning to buy rMBP 13 late 2013 is there any way that i can see in the date of manufacturing where are bad panels?

10. MrT-Man macrumors regular

The Broadwell rumors seem to have been discredited. Intel said last week that Broadwell will start shipping to customers at the end of June, which would suggest that a fall release of a Broadwell MacBook is very possible.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing major is coming down the pike, I say buy it now. The broadwell chipset isn't ready yet so get it now and enjoy it :)

12. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Three times that I bought MBP's I waited until the "latest" version was out.

.... then I bought the "previous" version as they went on sale a few weeks later :)

Trailing edge tech that was REALLY good and for a decent price.

My current Late 2011 MBP which I bought in July 2012 was more than €350 cheaper
    than it was just two months before - see sig.

Works for me.

M.

13. MrT-Man macrumors regular

One thing I'll add is that the current retina MBPs are phenomenally awesome, except for one thing -- a little more weight savings would always be welcome.

I'm thinking that IGZO and Broadwell could together shave off maybe a half pound from the MBPs. I carry mine around enough that I really would like to have that half-pound weight savings.

14. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

One thing to keep in mind is that Apple has a track record of implementing a "tick tock" update strategy - in other words there is a big update then a smaller bump. The tick is the update and the tock is the big jump. Since the late 2013 rMBPs were the first on the Haswell platform, they would be considered the "tock", with a spec bump coming before any move to Broadwell. On the iPhone side, the 4 and 5 were "tocks" and the 4s and 5s "ticks" With the retinas, the initial and Late 2013 releases were the tocks and the early 2013 was the tick. Given Apple's track record and Intel just now beginning to make Broadwell available to OEMs, chances are we'll see a small spec bump on Haswell later this year with the Broadwell models coming out in either 1Q or 2Q 2015.

Intel does the same thing with their CPUs, where the "tock" is the new architecture (Haswell, Broadwell) and the "tick" is a process reduction/die shrink.

15. mcarling macrumors 65816

Now is an excellent time to buy. Any significant update will not occur before the availability of Broadwell chips in early 2015. Prior to that there might be, at most, a very minor refresh such as in February 2013.

16. Tomr182 macrumors member

Just got back from the Apple Store

2.4ghz
    8gb RAM
    256gb SSD

Seriously sweet machine

17. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Next proper model probably won't come until really late this year or early next year. We might see a minor spec bump in the fall with the annual Back 2 School promotion, but that's really it and it's not very probable.

So if you think it's worth waiting till August for possibly 200MHz on the CPU and possibly a bump in the size of the smallest SSD in the 13" one, then do that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.