Buy new spec bump MBP or Discounted early 2011 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imaroxstar, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Imaroxstar macrumors newbie

I am new to forum, however, I have been creeping around here for months. I have been researching laptops for months, and have decided to stay with Mac (I have the first 13" unibody MBP that is 2 years old, and also several pcs). I was waiting for the spec bump, however, now that it is here, I am considering just buying a discounted MBP 15".

I edit photos and video (mainly on an expensive pc at my office), and I wanted something I could literally use on my lap at home (in front of TV, and while watching kids). Gaming is not really that important to me, as I am a console gamer.

Is there really any major advantage to the new one, or do you think I will be fine with the early 2011 model at a discount?

Oh yea, you can call me a troll, or whatever you want, however, I am looking for solid advice, which is why I have turned to this forum - as you are the experts!

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Depends on the discount.

(Honestly, all you needed to do was tell us the price difference instead of giving us that prologue)

3. Imaroxstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough...

Discount MBP - $1999
    New one - $2199
    $200 bucks.

I would be all for new one if it bump the hard drive to 7200 without a fee. i would rather just put my own in.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

For the $200, you can buy a Scorpio Black 750GB for about $100 and 8GB of RAM for about $60.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Get the discounted Early 2011.

CPU bump and GPU bump are nice only if you need them.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

At this point I would try to wait. Ivy Bridge production has been pushed forward, and I think we'll see a redesigned chassis along with all new CPU's and GPU's in Late Q1 2012/Early Q2 2012.

That's just my two cents.

7. Imaroxstar thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my doubts that we will see a complete refresh in Q1 or Q2. I am hearing next June/July time frame.

I have waited long enough, and I need something now. If something way more kick ass comes out, then I will just sell what I got (or give it to my wife), and buy a new one.

However, thank you very much for your input. I do wish that I could wait, however, i truly can not. I have money burning a hole in my pocket that I have to spend!

8. kaydot macrumors regular

To which rumor do you attribute "Ivy Bridge production has been pushed forward"? I have not read anything to this effect. Link please!

If anything, I expect Ivy Bridge to be late.

9. warvanov macrumors 6502a

The upgraded graphics are the biggest reason to opt for the new 15" MBPs. If that's not a factor for you then there really won't be a discernable difference between the machines for you. Get the cheaper one. Also, check out the refurbs if you're into that sort of thing. It looks like they dropped the price of the Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel i7 to $1699.

10. kaydot macrumors regular

AND the hi-res version of it to $1829. That's $170 cheaper than it was last week and is basically the same machine as the new base model but with the better screen and more HD space.

11. Imaroxstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Any danger in buying a refurb?

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Apple's refurbs are great. I've purchased a few of them and wouldn't think twice about getting another. You get the same warranty as with buying a new one, but you get to save $$. The only thing that's really different is the box it comes is, but personally I don't think pretty pics on a box are worth a few hundred bucks ;)

13. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Sometimes the refurb box is the same box that comes with new Macs.

I helped a client buy a refurbed 24" iMac. It came in the retail box. I suspect that the Mac had been returned unopened due to damage to the box. Apple checked it out and put it back in the retail box. My client saved $700 compared to a new Mac.

I suspect that discounts on previous-generation MBPs will get better if you can find a retailer with left-over stock. Unfortunately retailers are getting better at moving their stock before new models are released...

14. kaydot macrumors regular

There is a whole thread at the top of this forum dedicated to happy refurb purchases. While that is obviously not a *fair* sample, it does prove that there are a large number of satisfied customers.

15. Imaroxstar thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate all of the good feedback. It is a tough decision. I like having the latest and greatest, however, I also Love my money.

With a refurb, I can get the same thing for 1699, that they are selling at best buy for $1999 - so another 300 off or 500 off of the brand new model.

With $500 I could up ram to 8gbs, put 7200 750gb hard drive, and have almost $300 to spare (could buy final cut pro).

wait, that last statement makes this a little easier.

16. techno99 macrumors newbie

For video editing, what is needed? I'm looking to purchase a MacBook pro for light video editing (clipping and splicing) and am struggling with whether the upgraded GPU is needed. (Apologies to the OP.)

17. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

This. Get the high res Feb. 2011 refurb and up the RAM and HDD with your saved money. Be aware that this thing will fry your nads if you do intend to use it on your lap for prolonged periods of time as stated. But then again, maybe you don't want more kids ;).

18. Imaroxstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha! got three kids already, so i like what you are suggesting!!! My wife wants one more, so this may help.