Buy new UPS or just replace battery?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZachsMacDaddy, May 28, 2008.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I have an APC BK350 - Back-UPS CS that I have had for what must be 5+ years. The battery finally died in it.

Should I just buy a new battery or should I bet a better UPS with AVR like the Cyberpower 685VA http://www.buy.com/prod/cyberpower-...ith-usb-rj11-45-coax/q/loc/101/203064705.html

The Cyberpower model is about 2x the cost of a new APC battery. Will I see an advantage from the AVR technology? I have a newer APC unit for my servers that does well at catching voltage ups & downs and I want to make sure my desktop gets the same protection.

Just in case, here's what I run:
    Mac Mini C2D 1.83
    External DVD-RW
    External dual HDD enclosure
    23" HP LCD
    wireless router
    small netgear gigabit switch

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Do not downgrade to a Cyber Power. They are junk. Their ratings are horrible, just like most UPSes.

APC underrate their UPSes.

http://www.gruberpower.com find your battery there for the APC.

Or go get a better APC. I hope I do not sound like an APC snob, but they are the best. I would not use anything else other than maybe a minuteman, but they are just as expensive.

BTW, I ran a Server room for an ISP for 10 years. I have a bit of experience with either under desk UPSes (VP's desktop in his office), rackmount (Colo customer's UPS for his rack of servers), or the nice big ones with 20+ 500amp batteries that run an entire data center.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Absolutely replace the batteries. BatteriesPlus is a good place for replacements as well. I'll second the vote for keeping the APC until it dissolves of old age. It's seriously quality goods. My only other suggestion is to replace the batteries every 2 years, give or take. That goes for any UPS, really.