Buy now a Macbook Pro Retina 15 or wait for early 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gutma, Jan 12, 2014.

1. gutma macrumors newbie

I am thinking to buy a Macbook Pro Retina 15 but I have doubts if it will be an early 2014 model in february, and I don't know if I should wait or buy now. What do you think?

2. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Even if there is an early 2014 model, it would only be a very minor spec bump. By that logic, why not wait a few more months for the late 2014 model, with better integrated graphics and Broadwell, or the 2015 model, or the 2016 model etc?

There will always be something better just around the corner, this is why it doesn't make any sense to buy for the future, just buy what suits your needs today and upgrade later when your needs outgrow the the product.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why not wait until 2015? Those will certainly be better.

4. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never buy yourself a laptop that you want. There's nothing wrong with the current generation of rMBP. I bought one for myself as a Christmas present recently and I have no regrets. I could care less if a new one comes out next month, I'm happy I got my laptop when I did. In the end, it's all up to you, but I say just buy now if you need it.

5. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

There are no rumors of a early 2014 model.
    Intel have not done any bump of 100mhz like they did with Ivybridge. And there are none planned either.
    nVIDIA have not upgraded their GPU series either.

So there really are nothing to upgrade tbh.
    So there wont be a early 2014 model. If not nVIDIA or Intel shocks us all with some new release, but even if they did, thats not a guarantee that Apple will upgrade the rMBP immediately
    When they did that last time, there had been about 8months since the last rMBP was released. Now its been 3-4 months. That's a big difference.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

No, the 2017 will beat the 2014's :p

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Might as well as wait until the NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs are aboard the rMBPs. Maxwell will have a huge performance improvement from the Kepler architecture (GT6xx and GT7xx).

The GT7xx ones are mostly over clocked variants of the GT6xx cards.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for an early February update. I'd say the first update we'll see will be summer/fall for the new chipset. Last year was a silent update because Intel made an update as well (AFAIK)

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'd wait not because of processor technology but because of the IPS display issues that affect current rMBPs.

10. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

It's unlikely there will be any updates until WWDC, at least (considering the release schedules).
    So, either wait until then or buy one right now.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There won't be an early 2014 model seeing Intel won't be releasing any new parts until later in the year.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

jeez this website is full of drama queens my goodness. "why not wait till 2015 or 2016 blah blah blah" He's only asking about the very next release relax.

to the OP if you can wait a month or 2 then go for it, get yourself some better specs as minor as they may be. if you dont need a computer urgently like today then why not wait.

13. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

When is this due to happen ?

14. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

15. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

There is no guarantee that Nvidia is going to win the 2014 design bake-off for GPUs versus AMD. Maxwell being after Kepler doesn't matter as much as being selected by Apple as a component for Mac designs.

They aren't necessarily going to loose ( although dragging their feet on OpenCL isn't helping them) but not necessarily winning either.

16. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Nvidia's Maxwell and AMD's next generation GPU are hung up on TSMC new fab process which hasn't gone into ramped up production yet. If TSMC's established track record holds up .... don't hold your breath.... it will be well into Spring (March-May). They claim they are going to really hit their dates this time (late Winter/early Spring) but they have also done that before too.

Given the log jam of many vendors all trying to rush into the new process... wouldn't bet on TSMC hitting the deadline.

There is nothing "just around the corner" on the GPU front in the very short term from AMD or Nvidia.