Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

gutma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
5
0
I am thinking to buy a Macbook Pro Retina 15 but I have doubts if it will be an early 2014 model in february, and I don't know if I should wait or buy now. What do you think?
 

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
329
29
Even if there is an early 2014 model, it would only be a very minor spec bump. By that logic, why not wait a few more months for the late 2014 model, with better integrated graphics and Broadwell, or the 2015 model, or the 2016 model etc?

There will always be something better just around the corner, this is why it doesn't make any sense to buy for the future, just buy what suits your needs today and upgrade later when your needs outgrow the the product.
 
Comment

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
542
354
New York
If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never buy yourself a laptop that you want. There's nothing wrong with the current generation of rMBP. I bought one for myself as a Christmas present recently and I have no regrets. I could care less if a new one comes out next month, I'm happy I got my laptop when I did. In the end, it's all up to you, but I say just buy now if you need it.
 
Comment

zOlid

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
241
11
There are no rumors of a early 2014 model.
Intel have not done any bump of 100mhz like they did with Ivybridge. And there are none planned either.
nVIDIA have not upgraded their GPU series either.

So there really are nothing to upgrade tbh.
So there wont be a early 2014 model. If not nVIDIA or Intel shocks us all with some new release, but even if they did, thats not a guarantee that Apple will upgrade the rMBP immediately
When they did that last time, there had been about 8months since the last rMBP was released. Now its been 3-4 months. That's a big difference.
 
Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
6,725
231
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Might as well as wait until the NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs are aboard the rMBPs. Maxwell will have a huge performance improvement from the Kepler architecture (GT6xx and GT7xx).

The GT7xx ones are mostly over clocked variants of the GT6xx cards.
 
Comment

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
67,814
35,262
Boston
I am thinking to buy a Macbook Pro Retina 15 but I have doubts if it will be an early 2014 model in february, and I don't know if I should wait or buy now. What do you think?

I wouldn't hold your breath for an early February update. I'd say the first update we'll see will be summer/fall for the new chipset. Last year was a silent update because Intel made an update as well (AFAIK)
 
Comment

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
2,604
295
Brasil
I'd wait not because of processor technology but because of the IPS display issues that affect current rMBPs.
 
Comment

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
552
202
Portugal
It's unlikely there will be any updates until WWDC, at least (considering the release schedules).
So, either wait until then or buy one right now.
 
Comment

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
22,179
1,234
NYC
There won't be an early 2014 model seeing Intel won't be releasing any new parts until later in the year.
 
Comment

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
6,620
3,969
jeez this website is full of drama queens my goodness. "why not wait till 2015 or 2016 blah blah blah" He's only asking about the very next release relax.

to the OP if you can wait a month or 2 then go for it, get yourself some better specs as minor as they may be. if you dont need a computer urgently like today then why not wait.
 
Comment

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
2,077
2,316
Might as well as wait until the NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs are aboard the rMBPs. Maxwell will have a huge performance improvement from the Kepler architecture (GT6xx and GT7xx).

The GT7xx ones are mostly over clocked variants of the GT6xx cards.

When is this due to happen ?
 
Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
9,470
2,054
Might as well as wait until the NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs are aboard the rMBPs.

There is no guarantee that Nvidia is going to win the 2014 design bake-off for GPUs versus AMD. Maxwell being after Kepler doesn't matter as much as being selected by Apple as a component for Mac designs.

They aren't necessarily going to loose ( although dragging their feet on OpenCL isn't helping them) but not necessarily winning either.
 
Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
9,470
2,054
When is this due to happen ?

Nvidia's Maxwell and AMD's next generation GPU are hung up on TSMC new fab process which hasn't gone into ramped up production yet. If TSMC's established track record holds up .... don't hold your breath.... it will be well into Spring (March-May). They claim they are going to really hit their dates this time (late Winter/early Spring) but they have also done that before too.

Given the log jam of many vendors all trying to rush into the new process... wouldn't bet on TSMC hitting the deadline.

There is nothing "just around the corner" on the GPU front in the very short term from AMD or Nvidia.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.