Buy Now? Aluminum vs. Plastic?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bryanc28, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I'm about ready to jump in and get my first macbook. Just a bit confused as I keep hearing/reading about a small chance of a macbook update. Was looking on the Apple store website under the refurbished macbook category and see some pretty good deals. Should I just wait until Black Friday and see what discounts are available? Also what are the pros & cons of the polycarbonate and aluminum macbooks? A co-worker said the aluminum macbooks get hotter to the touch than the polycarbonate cased ones.... :confused:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Who cares if they get hotter. (I can't tell the difference between the Plastic and Aluminum) The aluminum one is soo much cooler looking. Get it. :D

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In my experience, my Unibody does not feel hotter as in maximum temperature than the Polycarb models I've used, but more of a distributed heat over the bottom.

I figure this is due to Aluminum being a conductor of heat as opposed to plastic being an insulator. With this difference, one can explain why the Unibody models tend to run cooler under load, in terms of CPU/GPU temperatures.

4. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

There has always been an update to the MacBook/iBook around October. Even if it's just a minor revision, you're best off to wait a few weeks, then decide. (I don't really expect an update to the pro models this fall, but maybe.) The pro models are too rich for me. I'm thinking about buying the new low end model or maybe the previous revision, after the update, to save some money.

5. molala macrumors 6502a

If you can wait until Black Friday, then do so. They may update the plastic Macbook by then, and last year they had additional (though small) discounts on Black Friday. They just updated the Aluminum 13" MBPs -- personally I think this is the better computer but I just don't like having a glass screen.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you truly need one now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait.

Yes, I know about the buzz about a new model, cheaper plastic macbook on the way. You can read rumor sites and drive yourself crazy about the decision to buy now or wait on some new unexpected hotness at a lower price later on. As much as I detest car analogies for tech gear, I have to use one: once you buy almost any car, it will start to depreciate as soon as you drive it off of the lot.

If you truly need a laptop now, and must make a decision about the macbook versus the macbook pro, read the reviews and opinions on each model, and then go to an apple store or best buy and check each out in person. Play some online videos on each in the store and see if you think there's a heat difference between the two. If you make a decision about which one you want, you can buy it at the apple refurb store for a like new system for a tidy discount.

As for black friday discounts, I don't seem to recall anything too spectacular when it comes to macs, usually they've got modest discounts on systems and most other items and one or two good discounts on a handful of items that you may or may not need. Last year, they had the $500 multimedia version of mac for windows for $150, and some laptop theft protection software for half price.

If you do get a new system, get it without regrets. Accept the fact that something newer, faster, better, cooler, and maybe cheaper will always be in the pipeline for a future release. Use your system for as long as it does what you need it to do before you buy a new one.

Good luck with your decision.

7. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I've had both the unibody and plastic macbooks. Here are my views. . . .

Firstly from my experience the Plastic Macbooks get much hotter than the Unibody ones. Alu is a great heat conductor so it disperses the heat around the case and into the air more efficiently.

If you are buying now then I would def get the unibody if you can afford it. The screen is brighter, the track pad is bigger, smoother and has multi touch (I love 4-finger expose) Backlit keyboard can also be nice. finally, the plastic macbooks seem to be very prone to breaking and cracking!

The plastic MacBook is due for a case refresh having been around for over 3 years. I strongly believe that they will be replaced/refreshed soon.

8. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I've had both the unibody and plastic macbooks. Here are my views. . . .

Firstly from my experience the Plastic Macbooks get much hotter than the Unibody ones. Alu is a great heat conductor so it disperses the heat around the case and into the air more efficiently.

If you are buying now then I would def get the unibody if you can afford it. The screen is brighter, the track pad is bigger, smoother and has multi touch (I love 4-finger expose) Backlit keyboard can also be nice. finally, the plastic macbooks seem to be very prone to breaking and cracking!

The plastic MacBook is due for a case refresh having been around for over 3 years. I strongly believe that they will be replaced/refreshed soon.

9. firewater macrumors regular

Aluminum vs. Plastic? R u serious? :)the Alu will win hands down in everyway

10. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I bought my UMB on Black Friday last year and I believe it was only reduced by 100.00 dollars. You might get a better discount on a refurbished model unless you really want the free printer. I would say wait if you can but I would go for the unibody which probably won't be updated before Black Friday.