Buy now and unlock or wait for Nov9th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJS1234, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. DJS1234 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #1
    So do I

    a) Buy and iPhone now from eBay, unlock it and add all the 3rd party apps I'd like to plus get a more competative tariff (Not difficult looking at the iPhone tariffs!)

    b) Sit it out with my SE K800i until Nov9th and go ligit with an O2 iPhone?

    The O2 simplicity tariffs look very interesting and cheap! I can add the internet bolt-on for £7.50 a month and get edge that way.

    Anyone got any opinions to help me decide?

    I know Apple will add some more features via software updates but the 3g iPhone is round the corner next year and I'll have one of those when they come out so this won't be a long term purchase like a Mac.

    Incidentally I've never bought a song from iTunes ever so not bothered about the wifi store - I'll stick to ripping CD's.

    Cheers
    Dan
     
  2. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

    Speedracer04

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Michigan
    #2
    Wait....unlocking is no longer safe and could cause you to brick you phone when trying to upgrade. The devs will eventually figure out how to put 3rd party apps back on with 1.1.1
     
  3. sananda macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #3
    if you're habitually on a mobile phone contract and do not travel abroad for extended periods, then wait for nov 9th save yourself a lot of hassle.
     
  4. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #4
    even worse one of the guys at work just got back from LA and has one that he's going to unlock tonight (It's already activated and jailbroken) AAAHHHH TOOO CONFUSING!!!
     
  5. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

    Speedracer04

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Michigan
    #5

    yikes...make sure he knows all of the risks associated with it and hope that he doesnt plan on updating anytime soon!
     
  6. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #6
    we share the same view on 1.1.1 - 3rd party apps outweigh the benefit of the update (Not saying that's true for everyone just in my personal situation - not trying to start a war here!)

    Cheers
    Dan
     
  7. njpodder macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #7
    DEFEND YOURSELF!! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!!

    Heh, just kidding.
     
  8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

    CD3660

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    #8
    I had the same dilemma. However, I eventually decided to avoid any hassle and worry by waiting and going for the official o2 contract.

    It may not be a cheap option but at least you'll get complete peace of mind.
     
  9. U'erd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    My Iphone arrived yesterday, I am going to still get the legit on launch day, then sell the unlocked one and easily cover my costs.

    there you go problem solved!
     
  10. kamiboy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    #10
    I say go O2, not being able to update your iPhone with new updates will become a huge pain in the ass. Specially if those updates fix bugs and issues that bother you.
     
  11. sblasl macrumors 6502a

    sblasl

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Location:
    Heber Springs, AR
    #11
    Are you planning on updating to Leopard?

    My guess would be that those planning to update to Leopard will find a new version of iTunes that will most likely force an update to the iPhone thereby eliminating all 3rd party apps (again).

    I would go as far as stating that Leopard will not allow older versions of iTunes to run either.
     
  12. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #12

    Leopard's fine with any version of iTunes, I'm running it right nowand have gone through about 4 versions so far, I doubt that'll change in the release candidate.
     
  13. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #13
    Ah but will it though, I can see the prices taking a dive once the O2 one is out especially as stock will not be a problem judging by what we've seen in the US

    I can still see me getting one though, Im just too damn impatient!

    Just waiting for the right deal on eBay....
     
  14. MiLK© macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #14
    Get one now. I did it, and have no regrets. Running perfectly on o2-UK.
     
  15. U'erd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #15
    I will list mine when the hype over here starts to build, i;m guessing about a week before launch day, i will also have my current o2 n95 which i got for free, some i'm hoping i'm covered.
     
  16. U'erd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #16
    The one thing I haven't setup yet is normal internet when not near wi-fi, any ideas?
     
  17. Hustle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #17
    Wait.
    The satisfaction of having the ability to update when you like, knowing your iPhone is safe from bricking. I was in the same situation as you, but decided to wait the 5 weeks and get the 02 contracted iPhone.
     
  18. Luis macrumors 65816

    Luis

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Location:
    Costa Rica
    #18
    Wait, don't new iPhones come already with 1.1.1 preinstalled? If that is the case, a rollback to 1.0.2 won't let you Unlock. Be careful on that!

    Luis
     
  19. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #19
    whoops, just bought one:D:D:D

    Got a good deal and it's already unlocked so I can move it on in the future if needs be and get a ligit one or the other half can take it and I'll get a new one.

    Can't wait now!!!!!
     
  20. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #20
    Wow

    Well I've got it!


    Good god this thing is awesome!!!!!

    Everyone at home and work who's come within about 3 metres of it wants one, and many had looked at photos etc before and said it wasn't for them.

    the speed and responsiveness of the interface is just amazing - what I've wanted from a phone for years!

    I've edited the plist for phone numbers to make them appear in the correct UK format and done the lookup fix so caller ID works correctly.

    I have to say that the 3rd party apps really are the icing on the cake, I'd definetly miss the additional functionality were they not availble.

    Now onto which tariff on which network will be the best for me as my Vodafone tariff is a bit long in the tooth and very uncompetative. I may look at the Simplicity O2 tariffs as I really like the idea of no contract. Or I could get the N95 (Boo, hiss lol) free on contract, eBay it and I've got myself a free iphone (Albeit on contract)

    Final words to other UK/EU people in my situation - yes it's definitely worth waiting for and it's also definitely worth getting now!! - you just need to find a good deal!

    Dan
     
  21. sananda macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
  22. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #22
    off eBay just took a while to find a good deal that someone else hadn't already bought.
     
  23. Project macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    #23
    I'm going to disagree and say to everybody else.... WAIT!

    Its a month away.
     
  24. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #24
    To each his own I guess, I like the choice and freedom of tariff, carrier and software an unlocked iphone gives me and I've never bought a song from itunes let alone the wireless store. It's up to the individuals but I just wanted to reassure those who may think that the unlocked "experience" will feel bodged together it's not at all.
     
  25. sananda macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #25
    what would you consider to be a good deal?
     

Share This Page