buy now buy later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ceasetoexist, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. ceasetoexist macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    #1
    i decided to buy a 15 inch macbook pro to replace my pathetic amd PC. i am not sure wheter i should buy now or suffer for few more months till the next macbook pro revision. i see by previous cycles that pro is usually updated a month after the regular macbook, which would be acceptable time to wait for me. january would be the longest time i could wait, but that would be kinda too much honestly.
    what do you think, will macbook pro see a revision soon?
     
  2. Can macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    #2
    Personally I think we would have to wait until January. At least that is what I have prepared for. I have already saved up money placed on a bank account I have named "MacBook Pro"(+software). If they come before January it would be a positive surprise though.
     
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #3
    It saw a minor revision last night, slight changes in options like a 2.6GHz CPU, and changes in the hard drive options.

    No telling how long until the 2.6GHz machine is the normal top end killing its premium for the upgrade though. That might be next year.
     
  4. ceasetoexist thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    #4
    we can presume that penryn system will be introduced at around 15th of january @ the macworldexpo?
     
  5. vm7118 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    NJ, USA
    #5
    yes, that is now the EARLIEST it will be introduced. and it will probably be up to a month after introduction before penryn ships. so i'd say buy now :)
     
  6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #6
    I'd say buy now. Who knows when they will be updated again.
     
  7. brew4 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #7
    Also wondering what to buy

    I have a 5 year old Powerbook G4 showing lots of signs of age. I've been putting off buying a new laptop until the release of Leopard. I had thought I would go with a MacBook Pro in order to get faster processing speeds. My thought is to get the best I can afford now so that the computer I buy today is able to manage the challenges of the increased demands of software released in the years to come (hoping to get another 5 years out of the next computer.) Looking at the forums, I see that the MacBook has been updated but the MacBook Pro might not be updated until some time in January. I don't think I can wait that long ... I've also heard rumors of something else, a MacBook slim (or is that the updated MacBook Pro). I use my laptop for work (using foreign alphabets) on MS Office Products including Word and Powerpoint, simple photo editing with Photoshop, and home movie production with iMovie and iDVD. Some sound editing with Audacity, too. I'm wondering if Forum Readers would share their thoughts on whether I should go with the most souped up MacBook or MacBook Pro.

    Thanks for suggestions.
     
  8. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

    MarlboroLite

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    the 13 colonies
    #8
    Any chance we will see the 2.4 Ghz edition become the low end $1999 15 inch MBP before the next update? It seems kind of silly to make the 2.6 an "extra" for the higher end models...that's not really an update....
     
  9. ps49556n macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #9
    Same situation here.....Do i really need a new computer???? No I dont, but it would help me a great deal if I did.

    The thing that is really holding me back from buy a mb pro today is that the configuration i want is shipping in 2-3 weeks.....by the time I get it macworld will be about 5 weeks away....


    Yes the MB pro is due for an "update" but who knows for sure what it will be (if any) and when it will be available?? The thing I am dreading if I hold off until macworld is that they announce a new mb pro but it isnt shipping until feb....
     
  10. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto
    #10
    lol, same situation here

    dunno if i should wait for penryn or get it now

    btw, penryn is hotter?
     
  11. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #11
    Hmm... no matter how long you wait, once you buy, you'll then miss the next update.

    and, so it goes. you just need to bite the bullet. I see no problem waiting until January if you want. But, that's two months you could be enjoying your new mac.
     
  12. schreck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    New England
    #12
    Haha, I'm in the exact same boat as most all of you. I'd love to purchase one right now, but I'd probably just go for the 2,2 and I've already a 2,16 machine (macbook) and I'd like to see perhaps an increase to a 256mb video card thrown in the base model. I'm definitely going to wait it out until MWSF, though. If I have to wait longer, then it's whatever. The macbook really does quite well.
     
  13. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #13
    Not with a configured MPB taking 3 or more weeks to ship, let alone to deliver ...:rolleyes:
     
  14. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #14
    Really not that tough of a decision...

    There is so much back and forth on this issue, and I don't really understand why. Consider the possible scenarios, which break down in to three general categories: major revision sometime soon, small speed bump sort of revision, or no revision at all. We can assume that there will always be some sort of revision, and MacBook Pro hasn't had a "major" update arguably since June so one is likely in the relatively near term. But likely isn't definite, is it?

    What if there is a major update announced in January with February availability? If you order your MacBook Pro today you probably have it before the end of this month. If they do in fact announce something really significant in January, you have a decision to make. Keep your new MBP, or wait a few months more, until they work out the bugs on the new one, and throw yours on eBay. Sure you take a hit for a few hundred dollars, but you've also already enjoyed your MBP for a several months. As further insurance, you can cancel pretty much right up until the time you receive it. So if the rumors firm up between now and December 1 that a major update is coming, just cancel your order. No harm, no foul.

    Also consider how badly you really need your new machine. If it's mostly a "fun factor" purchasing decision it's easier, and maybe even more fun, to wait. If there's a definitive reason why you NEED to upgrade just do it. Budget permitting, you can always do it again a six moths from now.

    I love to have the latest and greatest, for sure. I had been waiting to order a new MBP to replace my 12" G4 PowerBook. When they announced processor and hard drive bumps last week, I finally pulled the trigger. If (when) they announce something totally irresistible in the future I'll decide if i want to sell the one I just ordered, which by that time will still be a very desirable high end machine, and order the newer one. For a total risk factor of about $500, I can have my cake and eat it too. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying my fabulous new MBP while some folks are still debating the issue. I say "go for it".
     

Share This Page