Buy now for college or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zelth, Nov 13, 2008.

1. zelth macrumors newbie

I will be starting my foundation year at college in 09 and I am really interested in the new macbook. Currently I am using a toshiba satellite A100. It is actually still in good conditions, but I am just so syched about the new macbook.

What's troubling me now is that I can't decide whether I should get the macbook now or wait till I finish my foundation year and buying it for uni.

If I buy now, will the macbook be able to at least last 3yrs uni + 1yr foundation without being outdated too soon?

I am also thinking if I buy by the end of next year, will the product be updated very soon? I think it would feel pretty lousy if I get a new macbook only to find a newer model coming out weeks after my purchase....

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I highly doubt that they release an updated version of the Macbook any time soon. You can check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide to see the normal update cycles of all the Mac products.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. I doubt that something radically new will appear in the near future. With the exception of the MBA, Apple's design often tends to be incremetal, rather than earth-shatteringly different.

Wait until the next updates and if you like what you see, buy it, if not, go for a refurb.

Cheers

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I don't think the design will be changing anytime soon. The new unibody design was just introduced weeks ago.

As for whether or not to purchase now or later, I would wait. Apple will most likely offer the back to school promo again and you can take advantage of the free iPod offer. Plus Apple will probably be on Rev. B or entering Rev. C when you're ready to buy.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Like yoppie said, wait for summer when they offer the Back to School promotion.

6. zelth thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then I think I'll just have to sit and ogle at the apple site every day for the coming year......:(