Buy now or Black Friday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by icemantx, Nov 1, 2010.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have decided on either the 1.4/2gb/128gb or 1.6/4gb/128gb for my wife to replace her 3 yr old Black MacBook. My dilemma is where to buy and when - this is a Christmas gift. She is not a power user so the 1.4/2gb/128gb would likely make her happy.

Right now the 1.4/2gb/128gb is $1169 on Amazon. Do you think it may get better than that as we approach Christmas? Do you think Black Friday may bring additional discounts below $1169 shipped?

Thanks!

2. hwu182 macrumors member

$1169 is a great deal. Apple typically knocks off $100 bucks from their laptops, assuming the Air will be part of black friday this year. But considering tax, there really is not much benefit to the black friday sale. Personally, I'd say go with Amazon. They're very reliable and has a great policy. Make sure you read up on that before buying. Just find a good hiding place till Christmas :p

3. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

I also have a question regarding Black friday and Apple. Mainly, if I order my MBA 13" but with the upgraded 4gb of RAM, it would have to be online (my local store has yet to carry this configuration.) Does Apple.com do Black Friday sales too, or do they just apply to the stock configs found in the Apple Stores? I would assume online doesn't, but just wondering. thanks, and a quick reply is much appreciated, mainly because once I get the "go-ahead" that now is the time to buy versus in a month, I'm going straight on Apple.com haha. Just want to be sure. So make me sure people! thanks

4. GreatestDane macrumors member

Last year I bought an iPod Touch off of apple.com with quite a big discount. So it would surprise me if thay don't do it this year.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the past, the Apple Online Store has done the same Black Friday discounts as the retail stores.

6. lembowski macrumors member

If I get an employer discount through an eppstore url would I get that discount off the Black Friday pricing or the standard msrp?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

As far as I know, student/employer discounts haven't stacked with Black Friday discounts in the past. No telling if that will be true this time or not.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful, while apple does do some black friday stuff, I don't believe there will be any sort of cost reduction for the MBA.

So if you need/want the MBA now, buy it now.

9. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Is there any way to tell/verify this? When does Apple typically announce their BF deals? or if I remember, do they just keep it hush hush until the day-of, and before that just market it as like a day of big savings?

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

11. MorganB macrumors member

If you buy now you will lose almost two months of the one year warranty. I would wait.

12. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Well in my case, it's not a Christmas gift, it's for me and I want to start using it ASAP, computer and warranty. But if i can save 100 bucks or so, I would wait 3 weeks

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like all things apple, its hush hush until the day of. In years past I've failed to see any thing seriously discounted from apple. Just minor incentives, like free shipping, or something small like that.

14. r2fa3l macrumors regular

i thought it was until you registered it? that's what a genius told me

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're warranty starts based on the date of purchase, or when it was shipped (if purchased online)

16. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    There's no guarantee that the MBAs will be on Apple's Black Friday special.

They weren't last year. Here's the MR thread from last year: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=827430

And yeah, the warranty runs from the date of purchase. Not the date of "activation." Why activate it before 6 or 11 months before the year is up, otherwise?

17. celo48 macrumors 6502a

That is not true. It starts the day you purchase/ship.

Apple prices are pretty much stable wherever you buy it. Except when there was Bing Cashback program with 8% cashback buying from Ebay.

Now, Amazon or Education discount (if you can) seems to be the best options to buy.

18. MorganB macrumors member

So how is it not true? Buy it now for Christmas and it is going to sit unused until December 25th. The warranty will start running the day it ships.

19. celo48 macrumors 6502a

OK, I miss understood. The OP confused me :) I thought the OP would give the gift before Xmas or something I dunno. Why would he ask this question anyway then???

Just wait for the BF then. The price won't go up for sure. It may even go lower and if you are thinking to lose 2 months of warranty for $30, then I have no suggestion for you :)

20. zeppo2 macrumors member

i took advantage of black friday deal on imac last year ($100 off). However, I understand that Best Buy may also offer gift cards as incentives to buy there. So if the apple item you want isn't offered in apple promotion, you might be able to buy at best buy and get a gift card of $50 or whatever, if they do something similar this year. Of course you then have to want an additional $50 is some other items from best buy to make it worth it, but they'll probably have something. :)