Buy Now or Buy in January?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HD Max, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. HD Max macrumors newbie

    Aug 29, 2005
    Hi guys,

    I'm in the UK. I started at a new college some time ago. I have an Apple PowerBook G4 12-inch, 1GHz processor, 768MB RAM, AirPort, all the good stuff. Over time I started to notice that I was having problems connecting to shared drives on the network and all kinds of other nonsense. I really didn't feel like getting anything in the way of settling in so I told them I'd take a college laptop (Samsung P28, Celeron 1.5GHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HDD, etc.) and have used that for about 9 months now. I'm really sick of it. The college has done their best to make it work for me by adding more memory and so on, but however good the hardware is, this operating system is killing me - the random quirks, bugs, constant updates, the fact that updates seem to screw things up, I could go on and on... So I'm ready to give the college this thing back and use a mac. Since this thing is now quite outdated, the 12-inch screen isn't really pracitcle for some of the spreadsheet work I do, and it's generally suffered at the heavy hands of me for almost two years, I am going to buy a new machine. I'm looking to spend around £2,000. For not much more than this, from the Apple Store I can get a PowerBook 15-inch 1.67GHz, 1GB DDR2 memory and 100GB 7,200RPM SATA hard drive, AirPort, SuperDrive, etc. Now the question is, should I buy this now or shall I wait and see if an Intel PowerBook comes out in January. I know Intel ones won't be great for a while until a lot of software is ported, but basically I'm 16 and £2,000 is a lot of money for me, I'm planning on this lasting me a while.

  2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000


    Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    No question. Wait a month. You've gone this long, what is one more month for a superior machine in terms of size, cpu power, and battery life? (not to mention perhaps the ability to run both OS X and Windows with the Intel cpu) The Powerbooks are outdated machines right now...especially for their price...
  3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000


    Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
  4. 36183 Guest

    Jun 24, 2004
    i would stick with the 12 inch powerbook you have at the moment and the problems your having sound like they are software realted, try running some utilites such as onxy or tech tool to sort them out, if that fails try a system reinstall.
  5. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
  6. HD Max thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 29, 2005
    Hi guys and thanks for your replies,

    That's the thing though. I shouldn't have to run tech tool or any other rubbish and I definitely shouldn't have to do a system reinstall. That's exactly it, with my PC I spend more time on maintenance than on usage and I'm really sick of it. I never have these problems and that's why I'm going back to mac (whether the college likes it or not). And it's a college for the blind near Birmingham. I don't want to give any more details than that on a public forum.


Share This Page