Buy Now or Buy Later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacGabePro, Sep 16, 2007.

1. MacGabePro macrumors newbie

MacGabePro

ok so I am currently using a iBook G4 that is beginning to show its age. I have been debating back and forth jumping in and buying a new macbook or macbook pro. my question is, do you guys think i should just wait for the new OS or not? and also, I have been wondering when Apple would release a Blu Ray drive if ever? keep in mind, I can wait for this purchase.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you can wait, wait. If not don't. New MacBooks due within the next few months and they will come with Leopard.

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

4. MacGabePro thread starter macrumors newbie

MacGabePro

i apologize for it being an obnoxious question but one big thing and i know i didnt put it in my first post but i really want to know when or if apple will put a blu ray drive in future computers, any insight on that?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nobody knows yet. Probably at the next Mac Pro revision.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

absolutely spot on! wonderful diagram.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:D:D:D I have a sore throat, a headache, and I have a bunch of work to do, but you made my day.:D:D:D

Don't count on Blu Ray. A few weeks ago, two major studios decided to stop Blu Ray production and produce only HDDVDs. If any advanced player makes its way into the mbps, it will be that one.

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

isn't apple part of the bluray consortium? i doubt they would include hddvd. also, i'm pretty sure that the macbooks will be the last systems to get the bluray/hddvd drive when they do start including them.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Even Apple will eventually see that no one wants BluRay. This is the Betamax all over again; Sony never learns.

Read my post again. I wrote that macbook PROS would get them.

10. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Bottom line is there have been no rumors or any evidence pointing to bluray being included in any Apple products in the foreseeable future. This is not to say it may not happen one day. However, I wouldn't let bluray affect any purchasing decisions as of today.

11. monkeytap macrumors regular

put your money where your mouth is!!! Blu ray support is written into leopard, just waiting for a hardware update in the mac pro line..

i too cannot wait much longer for glorious blu-ray

12. seany916 macrumors 6502

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Apple support both HD DVD and BluRay.

14. stefan15 macrumors regular

There's no word on integration of blu-ray drives.. and I agree. That's a LONG way off.. I can't see Apple doing this and keeping value in perspective. It's sort of a tough thing to sell bundles with a PC (or a mac) with at the moment.. Single purchases of the internal drives (for PCs) aren't exactly spectacular at the moment.

That said even if they did offer it, personally I think it would be a bad choice to purchase. Who knows who will win the format war.. it's too early to tell. It's unfortunate and rather shocking that the two sides have not come to a settlement yet (similar to VHS vs Betamax..)

15. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Thanks, but I must give credit where credit is due: its iBlue's creation, I'm just placing it where it'll be most useful. :)

16. monkeytap macrumors regular

agree to disagree...apple is gearing this up for leopards release, and it would be stupid not to at least include an option for a blu-ray drive. more and more 3rd party blu-ray drives (maybe hd-dvd) are coming out, and if apple doesnt release an option for a blu-ray drive around leopards release I will be going 3rd party.

blu-ray is winning, if you do the research you can see that. yes, its still a war, but who in their right mind wants microsoft to win this (~30% failure rate on xbox360, and cant get most movies to work with add-on)

i bought a ps3 bc I wanted high def video and, after reading various analysts opinion and looking at statistics, I believe blu-ray will win. now i am a blu-ray supporter, and I am glad i made the decision, blu-ray is so sweet!

I just really want mac to release some drives so I can utilize those 50 gb discs.

17. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Man, I have an even better flow chart but I think
    if I put it on here I'd be banned forever....

18. davewolfs macrumors regular

Folks, I couldn't wait any longer.

I pulled the trigger and built a kick ass PC for around $1500. All the latest and greatest and I have it clocked at 3.6Ghz.

I feel kinda dumb for doing it, but I have simply been waiting for SOOO LONG.

At least I can run CS3 and Lightroom at great speeds, unfortunately I will be stuck on Vista. If only Apple released OS X for your home built PC, I would buy two copies without thinking twice about it.

Dave

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You haven't posted in this thread before, so I'll ask the natural question...how long did you wait? If you waited for several months, I understand. However, if you only waited a little while, then I'd call your decision a little less reasonable.

20. davewolfs macrumors regular

I've been waiting since the details of Leopards were released so however many months ago that was....

During school I was an OS X user and dropped it when I entered the business world since my company laptop had pretty much deemed my powerbook useless.

When the Intel Mac's were released I thought wow, these are great but I didn't feel that the features of Tiger justified the premium to pay for a Mac Pro.

Let's just say that Leopard pushed me over the edge. In my opinion for the price, the current mac lineup is outdated. Lately I have been doing a ton of Photo Editing and my laptop is simply not cutting it. That being said, I justified that rather then buying a Mac Pro, I would build a very fast PC and purchase a high end monitor. The cost savings alone, would leave me with almost enough money to buy a high end printer.

And so here I am. I know the day that the new Mac Pro's will come out I will be kicking myself in the ass.

I guess worst case I can purchase OS X and turn my PC into a HackinTosh, but that would be unethical and perhaps more trouble then its worth.

21. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I like :cool:

22. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Classic.

And needs to be posted in every single "Should I buy now or wait" thread.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Are there any 9.5 mm slot loading blu ray drives out yet?

If not -- there isn't any chance of blue ray next update.

24. davewolfs macrumors regular