Buy now or Buy later???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Esox, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Esox macrumors newbie

First off, this board has been very helpful for me learning about the iPOD Touch. I'm sorry if my question has been asked before but doing a few searches, I couldn't locate my answer.

1.) Now that the Jan software release is out, I'm assuming an iPOD Touch I order today will contain that (which I will make sure of), the SDK release in Feb, is that something I need to wait for so I don't have to pay or is that simply for developers to develop 3rd party apps?

2.) Any other reason I should hold off my purchase for a few months due to any foreseen memory updates? Reading the threads it seems the cost of the memory is still high so an upgrade is unlikely in the next few months, not sure if anyone has heard anything on this recently.

3.) What is an easy program to RIP DVDs so I can play them on my Touch?

4.) Do the DVDs need to be in a certain format or will this program convert them format needed for the Touch?

Thank you in advance for your advice to my questions!

2. stockcerts macrumors 65816

My advise is to buy now. At some point in the future a new generation of ITouch will come out, but I doubt that it will be in the coming months.

As for the SDK, that's not for you, unless you are going to develop your own software. The reason we're happy about the SDK is that means new apps will be developed that we can all enjoy.

Question #3, I'm kind of new to this, but I've been using Handbrake. It works on most of my DVD's, but not all of them...and it's free.

3. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Mac or PC? if Pc go with Anydvd+Clonedvdmobile, easiest and best software ever, and it will convert it to "touch" format for you

4. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Don't hesitate - go and buy it now. You won't regret it.

5. Barett macrumors newbie

Wow...those are all questions that were holding me back from buying right now. I guess right now is the time to buy. Thanks

6. Esox thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running a PC. I really appreciate everyones honest and prompt replies! Sounds like I'm not the only one in my boat as well. Thanks again!

Interesting, Amazon is the best price right now at $358.99 however they don't offer the Jan software. Best Buy $379.99 again no Jan software. Oh well still saving money, looking forward to finally getting a Touch!

7. thedoctorlee macrumors newbie

thedoctorlee

wait

It's always the same game with Apple.

Pros for waiting:
    - You get the new model when it first comes out :cool:
    - Presumably it will have better features/specs for roughly same price point
    - You get a longer lifespan before the next revision
    - Follow the apple rule of thumb: Never buy first generation product

Cons for waiting:
    - Might be several months wait time for 2nd gen :confused:
    - Without argument, the current model is still sweet
    - The IPT's software can upgrade... it can adapt.
    - You miss out on owning the first gen of the product
    - "Never buy first generation product" is by no means set in stone.

It's all up to you really - it's always the same arguments. IMHO, I would wait for the 2nd gen... but if you want a nice toy now - go for it! At least you're playing the $300 iPod wait game, and not the $2,000 MBP wait game.

8. Dragonskin macrumors newbie

got mine

4 guys in my shop just purchased the itouch and couldn't be happier. I waited a week and finally got mine but with the added software already added. This is my 5th ipod and couldn't be more happier. I debated with a guy in my shop about waiting for the new ipod touch but since we both invest in Apple he persuaded me the time is now, hence it is one the way to me in Africa...

9. sers macrumors regular

I waited and waited, and then finally took the plunge. Couldn't be happier.

If you use the logic of waiting for the next version, you'd be waiting for ever and never purchase anything. Technology changes daily...this is the reality of it. However, buying today doesn't mean the IPT won't be useless 1 or 2 years down the road. It can be upgraded with new software to make it even more useable than it is now. Heck, even my 1gb Nano is still useable today.

I bought my iMac G5 about 1 month before the intel versions came out. Was I upset? Perhaps a little, however, I still use my iMac everyday and it is still as useful today as it was 2 years ago - and, I except it to be so for at least another 3 years.

Get it now and have fun with it!!

10. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Costco has it for about $389-, not a big savings, but you won't have to wait on the shipping.

11. stockcerts macrumors 65816

One other point. I bought an IMac on day one when the new aluminum models were released. I love it! I just bought my Touch last week, and I love it as well. I've turned the wifi on my IMac and now I can watch TV and surf from the Touch. My msg typing skills are improving. It's going to be nice when travelling, and their are many coffee shops and other businesses that offer free wifi. I'm at work now and have my Touch plugged into my computer speakers. I love it. Don't tell my boss I'm doing this! ;)

12. ndheah macrumors regular

13. gbross macrumors member

Yeah, but if you buy today who knows what Apple will offer in the Ipod Touch Second Generation.

1. Bluetooth
    2. Speaker
    3. Camera
    4. 180 gig of storage
    5. Microwave
    6. Cuisinart
    7. Shoeshine
    8. Dry Cleaning
    9. 30 minute oil change

:D:D

14. drb6 macrumors regular

If you're happy with the features of the Touch as it is now, buy it. It doesn't look like we'll be getting a new release for awhile. With Apple's summer education deals, I think it makes sense for them to wait to update the Touch until sometime in Sept/Oct or right before Christmas.

I'm holding out till then mostly cuz the current Touch doesn't do it for me, mainly capacity wise. But also battery life. My ipod photo is dead right now and I'm struggling to survive without it but am hoping to get it fixed with a little investment. It'll keep me going till the 2nd gen touch comes out.

15. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

I'll play devil's advocate here - I would wait. The IPT has been out of over half a year now. Updates should happen in the next few months. 32 gigs of SSD are already below $200 at newegg, so I can easily see the next IPT going to 32 megs at the same $400 price point. Double the memory is worth waiting for given how much memory video takes.

Unless you have some reason to upgrade NOW, conventional Apple wisdom is to wait for the new models to come.

16. theman macrumors 6502a

Apple is never putting BT in the Touch. No way. It already has a speaker... The camera would be a possibility though...

17. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Well I guess you've exhibited your level of knowledge about the matter now. :rolleyes:

18. Esox thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good points. I'm a newbie to the whole iPOD thing so I'm sure it's a good idea to wait for 2nd gen. That goes for a lot of things such as a new model of a car or truck.

I did make the leap last night. I bought it at CC. They beat Best Buy's price of $379. I'm hooked! I was up all night using it. Thanks again everyone for your great advice!

19. s57 macrumors member

Apple will NEVER put a microwave into the IPT - best we can hope for is a convection oven. I would personally prefer a fridge - let's all get together on this and lobby Apple hard!

20. wizard macrumors 68040

It should but as you say make sure of it!

The SDK should define what sort to of capabilities the Touch based devices will have in the near future. Depending on what he SDK delivers that may mean a new OS release to correspond with the SDK release. Or it may not. If what the SDK is capable of doing is important to you then don't buy hardware now. Find out what Apple has up its sleeves first.

The SDK if for the development of third party apps. The problem is that it may correspond with a major software update for the Touch. Due to the way Apple handles the Touch financially they may have to charge for that feature update to the OS. The point is no body really knows what is coming with respect to the SDK or any OS update that may come with it.
    There is no such thing as an unforeseen memory update. There is good reason to hold off until after the SDK is delivered if you are not in a rush, but the one thing you can count on with respect to the iPod is memory updates.
    Frankly that is bull do do. It cost Apple maybe $25 dollars to go from 8 to 16GB in the iPod Touch and that is being generous.
    Also FLASH memory has been under very heavy pricing pressure over the last few months due to supply out stripping demand.

I'd like to believe there is a good chance of a Touch upgrade to correspond to the SDK's release. There is a couple of reasons why I think this might happen. One is that the SDK means applications and applications reside in their own partition on the Touch. If Apple wants devices that better support applications they will need larger partition for those apps. If they go about making changes they might see it as a good time to increase system memory. Another reason is that SAMSUNG should be ramping new Flash technology right now. This makes existing technology cheaper and allows for higher capacities in a single chip. lastly there are a number of new flash based devices on the market that compete very well against the iPod Touch capacity wise.

The other option is that Apple does nothing and simply keeps to their usual update cycles.
    If you are interested in DVD's and transcoding them to different formats you will likely have a need for a large capacity iPod. That is something to consider when looking at the current Touch line up.

Dave

21. wizard macrumors 68040

Bluetooth is a lot more than just a way to get audio in and out of a device!!

In fact I see Bluetooth as being so important to the success of Touch and tablet devices in general that Apple would be stupid not to support it in future versions of the device. It is the one feature that can provide a lot of leverage for SDK users and would not impact the current design significantly.

dave