Buy now or buy later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikefly, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Heya,

A family member is looking to buy a macbook and touch for her daughter as a birthday gift. (in december)

For the next couple days, there's still the school special of a free touch -- BUT.. of course sticking these in a closet for 3 months is gonna end up losing value.

So... pros/cons buying now or in December?
    --- does apple run decent sales for christmas?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Black Friday sales (the day after Thanksgiving USA) will usually have better sales, plus it will be newer hardware.

TEG

3. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple almost never runs a sale, they do however offer promotions (liked the iPod and Printer you can get for free) and student discounts. There will probably be a newer model, but nothing that's going to make it obsolete, and it will probably do everything she wants to do and more.

Of course, if you get sold a lemon, you'd have a hard time getting a replacement.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I understand money issues can have a large factor in this but I don't recommend buying now for later. Usually on December 1st they have done a sale day when they knock a little off each item in the Mac range.

The only reason I say this is because of updates.

For some people it might not matter, but as a gift, it gains a little importance