Buy now or in Nov

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by i-sidd, Oct 1, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I wanted to know if I should buy the MBA now or wait until Nov either for any new annoucement or if not anyting new, to get some deals for the holidays.

I am still going back and forth between MBA and MBP, HDD size vs. SSD.

Can I get 8gb ram and 128gb SSD and have an external 3.0 HDD, and store my photos and music in it.

What I mean is can I have th iphoto and itunes application in the external HDD, so that I don't have to manually move music and photos from the computer to external drive.

2. scarred macrumors 6502a

The only rumor going around is that there will be a 13" rmbp available sometime 'soon'.

Not a bad time to buy an MBA. The next gen isn't going to be out for a good while.

HDDs are finished. Do not buy a computer with one of those, SSD is the only sane purchase today. You can get an external drive for your 'media' if you are digital packrat. 256SSD goes a good distance, though.

3. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

The latest MBA was just released

in July. Don't hold your breath for another upgrade to that one anytime soon.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I don't expect a new MBA until next Summer when Intel releases the Haswell processor. That should do wonders for the machine, so I will be replacing my 2011 MBA at that point.

5. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

HDDs are still much much cheaper than SSDs. So no, HDDs are not finished.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Once you have a machine with an SSD, you'll likely feel that HDDs are finished - at least for primary storage. ;)

I have SSDs in my iMac and MBA and use external HDDs to hold my media.

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

so, will I be able to have my iphot and itunes app be in the laptop or the library in the external HDD?

Also, i don't wan to spend $300 mroe to go from 128 to 256 knwoing that the prices will fall next year.

If I could I would have hold off buying, but I need to buy either now or in Nov.

In terms of update I was just refering to rMBA, and now that I think of it even if they do release it, it will be more than the regular MBA won't it?

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes. My iPhoto library is small enough to fit on the SSD, but my music, movie and TV show library is on external HDDs.

9. jbzcar macrumors regular

My movies and TV shows are using up about 2/3 of my external 1TB drive. :D

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also want to know if hooking up the MBA to the Tv to stream hbogo is choppy?

my current macbook it's terrible and I can't wacth it. Anyone tried with their MBA, also hows netflix connected from MBA to TV?

11. stchman macrumors 6502a

HDDs are only good for large storage. For storage <= 512GB, an SSD is the only way to go.

12. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

Also really want to buy one now, but the rumors of rmbp 13 is kinda holding me off. .. It's gonna b e too expensive for me anyway, but I'm a "what if"-kinda guy :)

Can't wait till june next year, so I'll have to buy one now - or later this month after an eventuel event... I'd really like a Haswell-cpu, but that ain't happening..

13. calvol macrumors 6502a

If you can wait till Black Friday, Apple usually gives about 8-12% off across all product lines for that day only.

14. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

That's late nov, right?

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

16. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Heed these words. Buying later just means less time enjoying the new computer.

17. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now the question is MBA or MBP.

My old macbook had 64gb and now I am trying to get by with 1 gb and have to constantly add or delete stuff.

18. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I'm holding out until next year.. still got my 2010 MBA.. still lovin it. ;)