Buy now or in Nov

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
575
0
I wanted to know if I should buy the MBA now or wait until Nov either for any new annoucement or if not anyting new, to get some deals for the holidays.

I am still going back and forth between MBA and MBP, HDD size vs. SSD.

Can I get 8gb ram and 128gb SSD and have an external 3.0 HDD, and store my photos and music in it.

What I mean is can I have th iphoto and itunes application in the external HDD, so that I don't have to manually move music and photos from the computer to external drive.
 

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
516
1
The only rumor going around is that there will be a 13" rmbp available sometime 'soon'.

Not a bad time to buy an MBA. The next gen isn't going to be out for a good while.

HDDs are finished. Do not buy a computer with one of those, SSD is the only sane purchase today. You can get an external drive for your 'media' if you are digital packrat. 256SSD goes a good distance, though.
 

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
7,177
3,133
Seattle, WA
I don't expect a new MBA until next Summer when Intel releases the Haswell processor. That should do wonders for the machine, so I will be replacing my 2011 MBA at that point.
 

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
7,177
3,133
Seattle, WA
HDDs are still much much cheaper than SSDs. So no, HDDs are not finished.
Once you have a machine with an SSD, you'll likely feel that HDDs are finished - at least for primary storage. ;)

I have SSDs in my iMac and MBA and use external HDDs to hold my media.
 

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
575
0
so, will I be able to have my iphot and itunes app be in the laptop or the library in the external HDD?

Also, i don't wan to spend $300 mroe to go from 128 to 256 knwoing that the prices will fall next year.

If I could I would have hold off buying, but I need to buy either now or in Nov.

In terms of update I was just refering to rMBA, and now that I think of it even if they do release it, it will be more than the regular MBA won't it?
 

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
575
0
I also want to know if hooking up the MBA to the Tv to stream hbogo is choppy?

my current macbook it's terrible and I can't wacth it. Anyone tried with their MBA, also hows netflix connected from MBA to TV?
 

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
84
0
Also really want to buy one now, but the rumors of rmbp 13 is kinda holding me off. .. It's gonna b e too expensive for me anyway, but I'm a "what if"-kinda guy :)

Can't wait till june next year, so I'll have to buy one now - or later this month after an eventuel event... I'd really like a Haswell-cpu, but that ain't happening..
 

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
991
2
If you can wait till Black Friday, Apple usually gives about 8-12% off across all product lines for that day only.
 

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
575
0
Now the question is MBA or MBP.

My old macbook had 64gb and now I am trying to get by with 1 gb and have to constantly add or delete stuff.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.