Buy now or June?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by afternoontea, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. afternoontea macrumors newbie

    Apr 18, 2008
    Hi, this is my first post (please be gentle :p)

    I want to buy a 32gb ipod touch, but don't know if I should wait 'til June (ie are there likely to be any price cuts or new models announced?)

    I have a 30gb video so it's not imperative that I have one now, and understand theres never a right time to buy as technology changes so quickly
    But then again I don't know how many more times I can 'play' with one in the Apple shop and leave empty handed, ha ha :D

    Any thoughts appreciated as I also need to convince my hubby that I need a new ipod in the first place!

  2. intempo808 macrumors regular

    Jun 7, 2007
    If i were you, I would buy now, because the only thing that will change on the iPod Touch in June is maybe the capacity and the aesthetics. Other than that, the UI can't be changed because of the SDK I imagine.
  3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2007
    das Fort
    It's possible that some new applications might be included in June and it's probable that the latest software (2.0) will be included on it, as well. If you buy now, all of these things will cost you extra money, should you want them, when they are released in June.

    That dollar amount ($5? $20?) is likely to be the only difference you'd see, though there could be a price drop or a 64GB model.
  4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

    Nov 13, 2007
    If your one to cry over paying more for the ipod touch than it will be when it comes out in June, then just wait. I know we're going to get a ton of them when the update is release. If your happy with what it does now, go on ahead, it is very much worth the price to get it now. I don't know if I could wait couple more months to get the new ipod. Its just a great device (especially when jailbroken, Othello and Sudoku can help make the time pass by).
  5. mzd macrumors 6502a

    Jul 25, 2005
    i'm in the same boat and i'm waiting. i would say there is a good chance of a software updated at least in June with the new iPhone. and since the iPod touch doesn't get free software updates, i'm waiting. plus the (slim) possibility of higher capacity and or price reduction sound good to me. 32GB would be the minimum i'd buy since i'm over-full on my old 20GB iPod that the touch will be replacing.
  6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2007
    If you want one, buy one. No point in waiting around. Besides, if there are any software updates in June that you'd have to pay for I can't see them being too expensive (maybe $20 at most).
  7. Spongey817 macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2008
    I'm essentially in the same situation. My current 30g iPod is approaching its final days and I'm looking for something new.

    My inclination was to wait for the 3G iPhone; since you haven't mentioned this, I assume you're just waiting for the iPod Touch line to be updated.

    That said, I'd wait. I don't see how Apple can go through an entire event without making a single change to its newest iPod line-up member. June seems like a long wait, but its barely over a month. Price drops, higher capacities, and the possibility that all new iPod touches sold after WWDC already include the 2.0 software update are all too much to pass up on.

    Just my opinion...
  8. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Key word there is possibility. 2.0 is the only thing that'll probably come out of there. Too many people are expecting updates at every Apple event now. It's an iPod, so it can get hardware revisions when other iPods do; at an iPod event. WWDC is for development and professional tools, not releasing new iPods.

    As for the OP, June likely isn't gonna include hardware updates as mentioned above. You'll have to pay for 2.0 if you buy the device prior to the software release, though. But if you bought it now, you could probably get £13 worth of use out of it.
  9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816


    Oct 24, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

    I agree. If you can spend the amount of money it cost for a 32gb iPod touch, then you can afford the minimal update costs later.
  10. Spongey817 macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2008
    This is a correct assumption. Although I failed to mention it previously, (and from what I recall in the past) September has been the key month for actual product releases. Again, I may be misguided here.

    However, I cannot repeal my comment about 2.0. The above quote made reference to "hardware updates." With respect, software doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with new hardware.

    I understand that WWDC isn't an ipod-centric event. I wouldn't put it past Apple to make some sort of Touch/iPod Classic announcement though.

    There's a distinct difference between "anticipating updates" and "expecting updates." I don't believe that Apple has an urgent need to update their products, nor do I suggest that my expectations guarantee any. But there's never any harm in anticipating, right?
  11. dmkemick macrumors member

    Apr 14, 2008
    I made a similar post about a week ago and I'd say just wait. One poster made a good point (same as in this topic), if anything you'll probably get the 2.0 update for free where-as current Touch owners will have to pay for it.
  12. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a


    Dec 26, 2007
    U-S of A
    Seeing as June is only about a month and a half away, I think you should wait. Even if nothing major happens in June, it's not like you wasted half a year away waiting for something.
  13. afternoontea thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 18, 2008
  14. wizard macrumors 68040

    May 29, 2003
    No problem but here is one more just to fill in.

    If you don't need it now don't buy that is the $1 consideration. If you really have a use for it of course go for it. But we are really getting to close to WWDC to be buying anything. No one knows what is coming there, it anything, but it is only about a month and a half away.

    From the technical standpoint I have to disagree with the people here that say not much can change. I can't read Apples mind but i do have some idea of what is happening on the hardware front. For example the latest copy of Electronic Design that has come across my desk has a very interesting article on portable media players and new sound chips that might go into them. At least 3 highly integrated sound chips became available early this year that could be used to advantage in reworked Apple products. In cse you are wondering: Wolfson "WM8900". Leadis "LDS9350" and Austrain Micro Systems "AS3543". These family of devices offer new features and often cut power usage in half, or so say the manufactures. Given this info and the knowledge of what is happening SoC wise one could see Apple delivering an improved iTouch at an even lower price.

    That could mean an iTouch family that has double the capacity at a discount of say $50 at the common family sizes. Hand held media devices are not dead yet.

  15. PMB macrumors 65816


    Nov 7, 2007
    New York
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

    only reason to wait, is if you know (and would share :D) of a actual hardware update, if not, get one now

Share This Page