Buy now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ubundows, Oct 2, 2008.

  1. Ubundows macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #1
    I'm thinking of getting a macbook pro (the Penryn model) and was wondering if everyone thinks I should get one now in time for the holidays or wait for the supposed new models to come out in the new year?

    I'm not in any rush and I'm not really a spec-whore, but if everyone thinks it's worth waiting and that there will be a significant shake-up, I'll wait.
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Buy now and don't you dare complain when a new one is released in two weeks.

    I apologize in advance for my colleagues flaming you.
     
  3. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #3
    New releases are rumoured for Oct 14th. Wait, see if you like the new, and make your decision then.
     
  4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
  5. 840quadra Moderator

    840quadra

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    #5
    I am in the same boat, but am waiting. I can likely live the entire month of October without a laptop. I just sold my Macbook, and would like to go Pro (or similar) for my next mobile laptop.

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #6
    Best comment ever!
     
  7. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #7
    I thought the 14th was just the announcement? plus is that date confirmed?
     
  8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #8
    Announcement for what? Apple hasn't said anything. There's going to be an announcement? What confirmation do we have? We don't.
     
  9. Betelgeuse macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    #9
    There is a rumor that new MB/MBPs will be released on October 14. Further, there is a rumor that these have already started to be shipped around the world for distribution.

    However, there is absolutely nothing confirmed by Apple. If you can wait, you should wait until after October 14; it's only 1.5 weeks away. Maybe nothing will happen, but it's not that much time to wait.
     
  10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    If you want a new design, then wait.

    If not, buy now. Spec wise, i don't expect anything earth shattering. That time will come when Nehalem rolls out.

    On another note: refurbs are an excellent choice. Also, no harm waiting for the new ones to come out as the prices may fall.

    Rule of thumb is if you need a machine to work on now, get it now, if not wait. But keep in mind, October 14th is not a sure thing. Nothing is confirmed, and it could be earlier, or later.

    Who knows?
     
  11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #11
    Please search the forum for the dozens of existing threads on this topic. You'll find hundreds of opinions and recommendations, no different than what you'll find by starting a new repetitive thread. No one has any confirmed facts about any upcoming release.
     
  12. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

    pedroistheman

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    #12
    never confirmed, just speculation
     
  13. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #13
    Beyond the usual answer of you should search the forms....

    If you by bought from an apple store you would be able to return it by the time of the rumored announcement on Oct 14. They give you 14 days to return the product for a full return.

    I wouldn't recommend this for buying off the apple website because if your MBP is BTO it could take two weeks (or more) to get to you. Unless Apple starts the 14 days from when you receive it; I'm not sure.
     
  14. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #14
    How am I as a new user meant to know that it's a common topic?

    But thank you. I will.
     
  15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #15
    Wait, and if you don't like the new ones, go with a refurb. Penryn model. Or even better yet, wait for the new ones to go refurb. you save money by holding on for another week or so.
     
  16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #16
    The place is called MacRumors, and the Buyer's Guide says wait.

    And the fact that it says "Search" by where you type in a new thread title.

    No offense meant, certainly, but my colleagues and I (the people here) tend to get a little uppity when we've known an update is due for several months, nothing has yet happened, and some new poser comes on and asks, "LOL byers guide sez wait, should I wait?" :rolleyes:

    On the other hand, threads like that are a good way of relieving pre-update tension.

    And now for something completely different:

    "BRICK" DISCUSSION! GO! :p;)
     
  17. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #17
    I didn't post it like that?

    Plus do you personally think there will be an update to the line on the 14th?
     
  18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #18
    Oh, no. Certainly not; I'm not saying that you did. Yours was a nice, level-headed post.

    But Apple isn't waiting until next year.

    I like to stay out of the personal game. At this point, I know no more than anyone else: Nothing. I don't know if there will be an update, but it would certainly be nice.
     
  19. txhil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #19
    And we all know what speculation did to the stock market!:rolleyes:
     
  20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #20
    This would be my take on the question, too. Buy if you need, wait if you don't; in any case, wait until the updates, and, if you don't like what you see, buy a refurb as there will likey be a generous discount and you have have the reassurance of knowing that it comes with Apple's guarantee and warranty, and has been individually tested.
    Cheers
     
  21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #21
    Huh? I think your 2nd statement is a tad more on the mark. Its unlikely they'll wait until the new year...but at this point anythings possible. If anyone had said in spring that the update wouldn't come until fall or winter they would have been savagely flamed. Everyone seemed positive August was the absolute latest they would arrive, all the prophets said June...then July...then etc. I think this whole Nvidia disaster is the reason for the delay. Apple was probably waiting for them to get their crap together on a more reliable GPU to end the fiasco. Maybe they were coming out in summer...then it hit the fan. They probably will come out in 2 weeks but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

    OP, if you need it, BUY IT!
     
  22. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #22
    I'll wait. Hopefully there will be an update and they'll allow us to configure them with 8800 cards like the 24" imacs. ;)
     
  23. ManWithhat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    #23
    I would say buy a 'this generation' MBP off of ebay that's about 5 months old, or you could use the search function.
     
  24. Nde macrumors 6502a

    Nde

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #24
    Actually, if you wait long enough, you can get the Intel 10 Ghz with 2 TB of memory that weights 10 ozs.

    I really hate buy now and later question. If you need it now go and get it. If you cant wait, just wait. Be proud with your purchase. If you purchase the current model, don't let other people's opinion bother you. There is alway another one coming thats better.
     
  25. dtklamf macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #25
    yeah i work in the sydney warehouse for apple and over the last week we've seen new SKU's in our system in line with other MPB numbers and 4 containers come in so 2 + 2 = 5 and there are new products being shipped worldwide.
     

Share This Page