Buy now or may2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T4h3r, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. T4h3r macrumors newbie

    Nov 18, 2010
    What do you guys think?
    So I'm thinking about purchasing a MacBook. I have the iPad, iPhone 4, etc. So this last purchase will make me a official apple dude (or whatever you call it). So 2 questions:

    1. I heard there's a new os coming out by next year. I'm currently a senior in college, so i was wondering what you guys think. Should i wait till may and wait for the iPod touch MacBook deal? Or should i just purchase it now... Basically is it worth waiting? I know its a while but I'm not really in a rush. Also if I'm gonna purchase it now, anything extra should i add ( for those of you who are current owners) - bigger screen 15", more hard drive etc?

    2. The MacBook air is more like a net book from what I can tell. I read some great reviews. But I'm buying this new computer basically for everyday use and almost as a desktop replacement. But portability and aesthetics are definitely important to me too. So pro or air?

    Opinions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. arcite macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2009
    Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Hmmmm thats a tough one.

    Spend money now, or spend money later....

    Dude. Enjoy the ipod and ipad. Next year King steve will release the new sexy macbook that will blow every other macbook in the history of macbooks out of the water. Patience..... patience.....
  3. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

    Jul 27, 2010
    I've played with the Air at various Apple stores here in NYC. To me, it seems delicate like if you lean on it too hard it will break. My MBP is my one and only computer. I take it with me; I work on it at home.
  4. Mantasis macrumors member

    Dec 25, 2007
    So you don't have a laptop at all right now?
    Do you actually NEED one at the moment?

    From the info I'm getting now, I'd say hold out, you already have an Ipad, that should serve you fine for your browsing/music/blah blah needs. You're already a senior in college, so I assume you got this far without the need for word processing in class, so what's another half year...

    No point getting the Air, you got the ipad, so you'll always have that option if you don't feel like carrying around the MBP on any given day. If you get it now, you're gonna regret it...but that's gonna happen anyway, since Apple products drop like...apples from a tree, seasonally and often.
  5. thait3n, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

    thait3n macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2010
    I'm in your same position - senior in college and my laptop is in need of an update. If you look through the threads on the forums there are a whole bunch on speculation of what will come for apples next cycle. A consensus is that the new generation "Sandy Bridge" will be implemented in Q1. As of now I'd expect to hear news from Apple a week or so after Jan 8th (Last day to return purchases from Oct - December 25th).

    Like a lot of people will tell you - it depends on how you'll be using your laptops and how badly do you need it. If you need it now - buy it now. Trying to hold out for better technology means you'll hold out forever. Personally, I'm going to wait until after January ends because I'll have enough money by then, and hopefully Apple makes a public statement of what the new Macbook Pros will have. If I have to wait until Q2 or Q3, I'm going to be purchasing the 15in, i7 2.66 MBP instead.

  6. Nein01 macrumors 6502


    Dec 1, 2009
    definitely don't get the air if you want any kind of desktop replacement
  7. T4h3r thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks guys. Loving the posts. After realizing my iPad is basically a substitute for the macbook air, Im gonna forget about the MacBook air.

    As for the other questions. I do have a desktop and hp laptop but they are very outdated. Sick of my battery dying in 1-3 hrs.... And my desktop is a shuttle that I custm built years ago, i just use that when I'm home messing around or doing school work.

    I think im also gonna wait till after Q1 like you said. I'm gonna go with the 13 inch. Thinking 15 but i really love Portability. I'm a heavy commuter so that plays a huge role. I love the school sale with the free iPod touch in september but that's too far and I'm too late.

    And once again. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.
  8. thait3n macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2010
    If you want the 13'' my suggestion is to wait for sure, if you can. The 13'' is relatively outdated in terms of the Duo Core, and 320m graphics. I'm not sure if I read it wrong, but it is said that duo cores is not going to be manufactured anymore in Q3 or 4 of 2011. Regardless - the wait for a 13'' update will be relatively significant.
  9. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 18, 2010

    Whichever quarter it is the year is this year. No C2D processors next year.
  10. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2010
    if you're getting a macbook if any kind, wait

Share This Page