Buy Now or new mac pro coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maximono, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Maximono macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #1
    According to the mac MacRumors buyers guide the mac pro is approaching end of cycle, but I'm looking to buy a new one pretty soon, at least before november. Is anyone aware of a new Xeon chip coming out or any reason to believe an update to the Mac Pro will be out soon? Do you think they might also drop the price, as that would help loads too.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.
     
  2. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #2
    No price drops and no updates before January. :)
     
  3. Maximono thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #3
    Really? What makes you think this? Can u elaborate further?

    Thanks
     
  4. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #4
    If you search this forum for Nehalem you will find more information. Apple aren't likely to do anything with the Mac Pro until they put Nehalem in and that is unlikely to be before January.
     
  5. Maximono thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #5
    Yea reading about it doesn't seem like the mac pro class of chip will get here before Q2 2009. Anything think something else might happen sooner?
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    They won't use Beckton.

    The Tuesday before MacWorld we'll see Nehalem Mac Pros. No sooner.
     
  7. iJasonY macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #7
    I was going to ask this exact same question? Is there any reason not to buy one right now? I would think that the existing 8-core machines with 4GB or more of RAM would be enough to last for a while.
     
  8. hajime macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #8
    I read several postings that the new Mac Pro won't appear until January. However, I heard that Nehalem would be out in October. Why there is a time gap? Do you expect that we can build or buy a Nehalem PC in October?
     
  9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
    I expect Nehalem PCs to be available for configuration within days of release and shipping several weeks later.

    A Nehalem Mac Pro in standard configuration would ship on release day.

    Apple waited two months to release the Penryn Mac Pros after the Penryn Xeon release.

    So if you go by the grossly optimistic October Gainestown release, then the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009 sounds pretty good.
     
  10. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #10
    I'm under the impression Gainestown is already late. :rolleyes: :(
    So October may be realistic this time. ;) :p
     
  11. Maximono thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #11
    What makes you think they won't use Beckton? Apple have stuck with FB-DIMM using systems since the first mac pro and I can't see any reason for them to change that now. Plus judging from what I read these will be 8 core chips, so that gives the mac pro potential for up to 16 cores, meaning something to actually upgrade for. I can't see apple not using Beckton's, it makes the most sense.
     
  12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #12
    The Mac Pro was updated January 2008. Before that, it languished for 518 days without an update. I wouldn't expect any Mac Pro updates until at least after Macworld 2009.

    If you're holding off on buying a Mac Pro until Nehalem, etc, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. I waited a little over a year for the Jan. 08 update.
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    I look into your eyes and see a younger, more naïve me...

    And you can look at my past posts and see that I used to think like that.

    Beckton is only cost-effective with four processors. Beckton with four processors will START at around $3,000. Having to buy FOUR DDR3 FB-DIMMs at once is not practical for most people.

    They're either using Gainestown or they're killing the Mac Pro (with Beckton).
     
  14. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #14
    With what is known, it would seem extremely unlikely the MacPro will be updated before the end of the year. Obviously, none of us know that for a fact, but if you need to buy before November, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to buy now.

    Besides, the present 8-core MacPro is one heck of a machine and will not become obsolete when the next gen version is released. It will be a very powerful machine for years to come.
     
  15. indiochano macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #15
    as Tallest Skill said, it wouldn't make any sense for Apple to go towards the beckton path... more so as FB-DIMMs are a hassle...
     
  16. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #16
    It's even a newer version, FB-DIMM2. Definitely will be on the expensive side. :eek:
     
  17. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #17
    It's amazing what can happen in 31 days :p
     
  18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #18
    That it is. Wait, what? :D
     
  19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #19
    I remember that. :p

    I agree that January is a likely timeframe. November is too early, Apple doesn't update their Macs in December, February is a bit late, and March and beyond is too late.

    It appears that Apple is taking a yearly (or longer) upgrade cycle for the Mac Pros.

    Mid 2006: Woodcrest
    Early 2008: Harpertown
    Early 2009: Gainestown
    Early 2010: Westmere
    Early 2011: Sandy Bridge
     
  20. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #20
    It's about all they can do, which is more welcome than whatever Motorola's "schedule" was.
     
  21. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
  22. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #22
    Yes, but we always want more! :)
    Whether we can actually use it or not! :p
    Thus Techno-Junkies Anonymous is born. :D
     
  23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #23

    Hmm.. IF your using the system for work and your being paid for the job, then you can buy now. However, if your using it for home.. and there;s no urgency. Perhaps you can wait a while - though you might be in for a long wait.
     
  24. Maximono thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #24
    Where do you get your info about price for a yet unreleased CPU? If thats the case then I guess it'll mark a change in the mac pro's by killing off FB-DIMM's. I guess this still means expensive (ish) ram if apple stick with EEC ram but make it DDR3, I can't seem them just throwing EEC ram out the window for those who rely on the extra stability of it.

    I guess macRumors need to sort there buyers guide out because it's awefully misleading say the Mac Pro is approaching end of cycle when clearly it's got months left. I'll probably put my order in now then, it's only for personal use and I agree it would be more than enough power for a long time to come.
     
  25. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #25
    Wikipedia, its sources, and other sources as needed.

    The Power Macs did not use FB-DIMMs. The Mac Pro's use of FB-DIMMs is the exception not the rule.

    There's ECC DDR3.

    The Buyer's Guide averages past release cycles.
     

Share This Page