Buy now or September

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neilp4453, Jul 19, 2009.

  1. neilp4453 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #1
    Hey guys, my current laptop is done. I can still use it...but the charger stops charging through slight movement (and my battery doesn't hold charges anymore so it instantly turns off). It is horrible for casual surfing but it is going to be worse once college starts.

    I've decided on the macbook pro (13 or 15 is still a decision that needs to be made). My question is, the new OS comes out in September. I can wait and get by if the specs will be pumped up.

    The buyers guide says the MBP updates about every 200 days...the time between now and the release of the new OS will make it close to 100 or higher depending on the launch date. Should I wait since I can afford to wait?

    I am mostly a casual user...but I do stray from any casual behaviors. I sometimes encode 1080p videos and might even have the urge to play modern games.....it needs to be able to handle it. That is why I am thinking if I can get more bang for the buck....then I should wait.

    I really don't think its good business practice for Apple to announce new specs and then buff them in another 4 months...but seeing that Apple keeps a low profile on release dates and what to expect...I wouldn't put it past them to bump up the specs.

    Thanks for the replies.
     
  2. Marcus263 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #2

    Same boat as you. I'm going to wait until the launch of Snow Leopard and when it comes pre-installed with the Mac. The other thing is I've noticed that during September as the school year starts, they have different sales and offers even though you're not a student. Last September my mate got a free Ipod even though he wasn't a student.
     
  3. neilp4453 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #3
    Yea...that is another thing. I can still flip the touch and save even more money on the macbook (I already have a iphone and a first gen touch). Plus, I can get a free printer.

    The student discount for my school sucks (and they have a dedicated page for us). 100bucks off of the macbook pro.....that is less than 10%. I believe they only bump the regular macbook to $949.

    If I wait and there are no new specs....I just wasted my time and money. I could care less for pre-installed leopard...I will pay for the upgrade...its hella cheap anyway.
     
  4. spillproof macrumors 68020

    spillproof

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    I doubt there will be a specs bump in September as the new model just came out a month ago. If you buy now you get all that free stuff.
     
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #5
    I would buy now. BTS promo is over before 10.6 comes so you'll lose over 200$. You can buy 10.6 for 10$ if you buy it now
     

Share This Page