Buy now or Wait 11" Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by harleymhs, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    #1
    Hey Guys, I know there isnt an answer to this question, BUT some other thoughts would be great! I had an 11" air 128 GB 2Gb unit, had it from day one.. Sold it to a friend at work got the IPAD2 and cant even compare to 2 units! Now I miss my MBA 11.. Returned the Ipad2 .. Now missing my MBA I was going to apple today to get another one no harm done, ( returned the IPAD, and have the $$ from the orig MBA Sale ) DO I wait for a REFRESH in the future or just go and buy another MBA? The new MBA may have Sandy Bridge but my old MBA was fast and I was happy.. Now if there was going to be a refresh with a SD card and lighted keyboard I would wait but who knows.. Any thoughts? Thanks In advance!
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    I would just buy now. You can then sell it when the update comes if the new features are worth it for you.
     
  3. Edmoil12 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    #3
    The new macbook air will have a much faster cpu which would be useful if you are doing say video conversions/high end gaming or other cpu intensive tasks. From benchmarks, it looks like sandy bridge will be a slight downgrade in graphics compared to the 320M, but they will be comparable. Otherwise I would expect thunderbolt instead of mini-DP, and possibly 4GB of ram standard.

    It really depends on the relative importance of those features for your uses compared to how much you want/need a laptop right now.

    For me, I didn't see a big use for the faster cpu or thunderbolt considering what I plan to use mine for, so I jumped on it last month.
     
  4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

    Psilocybin

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    High end gaming? Uhm... Who would do high end gaming on a rig with intel gfx? The air is not meant for high end gaming
     
  5. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #5
    Wait, don't buy now, Sandy Bridge will be much faster... oh no, wait, there is Ivy bridge after Sandy bridge which will be even faster.... oh no, wait, there is the whatever bridge and even faster multi- mega- quintillion- processor.
     
  6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #6
    The Air has an Nvidia graphics processor...
     
  7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #7
    Don't feel bad lots of people make this mistake and think that an oversized iPod touch can replace a laptop.
     
  8. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

    Psilocybin

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Not when sandy bridge hits it wont
     
  9. Bakari45 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    #9
    Never think of the iPad as a laptop. I'm typing this post using my iPad, and it's a much slower process, keyboard wise, than using my MBA.

    What's really gonna shakes things up is when Apple combines the Air and iPad into one device.
     
  10. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #10
    I'd get a refurb 4GB model for $1189. Sandy Bridge will be a nice upgrade to the processor, but at the cost of slower graphics. If you had a 2GB 1.4GHz model, the 1.6GHz 4GB model ought to suit you for a while, at least until the Ivy Bridge MacBook Air is available sometime in 2012.
     
  11. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    #11
    Thanks guys.. I bought it Friday... Got the 11" Ultimate this time around.. Got a 100.00 Govt Discount.. So it was a NO BRAINER to get the 4GB Ram and faster MHZ... It is FAST much quicker than my old 2GB 11" ... Thanks for ALL your input!!!
     
  12. NZed macrumors 65816

    NZed

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2011
    Location:
    Canada, Eh?
    #12
    MBA has the NVIDIA 320m with 256mb shared memory. It can handle CoD 4 without hiccups and can even handle crysis 2
     
  13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    NY
    #13
    buy a refurb from apple now and sell it when the new one comes out. you won't lose too much $$
     
  14. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

    Psilocybin

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #14
    as i commented earlier i was referring to when the mba contains SB
     
  15. blow45 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    #15
    buy now and sell it later, trust me, I 've played the waiting game and it's pointless, and if you keep it in a good state a mac is almost always resalable at a good price, so I will be like renting the machine for a while.

    don't sweat it, buy and enjoy your mac, I am sure you will, it's a splendid little device, and a very capable one.
     
  16. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

    Psilocybin

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #16
    what he said +1
     
  17. EightEight macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2011
    #17
    Macbook Air 13"

    So, what is the release date for the new Macbook air 11"? I am using the 2008 Macbook Air 13", and thing of getting something smaller. I been playing with the Macbook Air 11" at Apple store for the pass two week and almost bought it this morning, I stop myself, because I remember I read something about a new version of the Macbook Air 11" is coming soon. But, when ask the Apple sales person about the upcoming new Macbook Air 11", he said, He has no idea there is a new one coming out.

    Thanks All
     
  18. 2IS macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #18
    Whether Intel or 320m, anyone who thinks the MBA is capable of "high end gaming" either has very low expectations of what constitutes "high end" or just doesn't have a clue.
     
  19. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

    Moccasin

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Location:
    Newcastle, UK
    #19
    Your average Apple Store employee won't know whether there's a new model coming out. Present thinking on this forum seems to be June or October but I went ahead and bought an 11" Ultimate as I needed a new light laptop quickly. I did consider waiting but there's no guarantee anything will come out by October.

    If you don't NEED a new computer NOW then you can wait, but if you do then I'd just go ahead and decide whether to keep it or sell it when a new version comes out.
     
  20. alecgold macrumors 6502a

    alecgold

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Location:
    NLD
    #20
    I needed a new laptop as my old mbp died on me. I went to the store, compared the MBA and the mbp, doubted a bit about between the 11 and the 13 and opted for the 13 as it will be my only machine and I ultimated it so it would be more or less future proof.
    I waited befor and ended up waiting for months, but it's not worth it. These MBAs are superb laptops and if you think you can use it, it's useless to wait for months if there might be a new updated version. Or not.
    I use it 14 to 16 hours a day at the moment and it works better than my mbp 13" ultimate with aftermarket 256gb SSD. I know it can't compete with the c2d 2,53 processor, but otherwise it's a lot better for the screen, the weight and the speed from the SSD. I installed click for flash and I liked it a lot.
    So just don't think about it if you don't need it, or go and buy a 4Gb if you do need a new laptop.
     
  21. EightEight, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

    EightEight macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2011
    #21
    Thanks! I think I am going wait until July to see if there is any news on the new MBR 11" . My 2008 MBA 13" is stay going strong, as long as I stay away from the new MBA and compare it, big speed different. :)
     
  22. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

    Moccasin

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Location:
    Newcastle, UK
    #22
    I can sympathise - If I'd thought I was able to wait then I would have done as well but really my Vaio was so hopeless and I'm going abroad a bit that I had to act now. I even considered buying a netbook to tide me over but the beauty of this thing meant it was inevitable.

    Just try to stay away from the Apple Store (at least with a credit card in your pocket)
     
  23. EightEight macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2011
    #23
    LOL, Just leave the wallet at home, right. :)
     

Share This Page