Buy now or wait for a possible revision?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacMartyr, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MacMartyr macrumors member

I'm looking to replace my dying 2nd gen, but there seems to be a lot of quality issues with the latest iPods (light leak, video ticking, yellow tint, etc) Do you think any of these defects will be addressed by Apple manufacturing any time soon, or should I just purchase one and hope it's problem-free?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It comes with a warranty, just buy it, if it's bad, get it replaced.

3. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

ah, I have a 4g and it has NONE of those problems. color temp is accurate, NO light leaks, and NO ticking in videos with wifi ON.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd guess the majority of the new iPod touches are just fine. Usually the complainers are a vocal minority.

The touch I bought for my sister on the weekend is perfect.

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I had the iPod Touch that was having the clicking issue, went to the Apple store today, got it replaced no more clicking noise.

6. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Complainers??? That sounds negative. It's not their fault Apple sold them a defective product.

The touch I bought is defective (two light leaks). I haven't checked the video, because there's no point in doing so. It's going back anyway. Light leaks are unacceptable.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. It's not their fault if they purchased a defective product. I never implied it was.

You completely misunderstood my post.

The majority of new touch owners are perfectly happy. They are the majority. They tend to not come here to complain about anything or to tout anything. The people who unfortunately received a defective unit are usually the ones who are vocal about it on forums... They have complaints, so are, therefore, complainers.

8. Zompac macrumors newbie

I would suggest to buy now

Cause this is a new awesome update. And next year will probably just be a bunch of performance updates like, dual core processor, 512mb ram, 3mp camera,more screen contrast, 128 gb flash memory, and a better gpu. Most of these won't matter until 2 years when apple makes a new omg awesome device. So if you buy next year, you will be mad when the omg awesome device comes out and the year after that will just be performance upgrades.

Btw this year is the omg awesome device so I'd get one now lol. If your like me I'd get one every year but that's just me.

9. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

The clicking on the video with the WIFI ON is a widespread problem. I understand that as the theory goes more complainers complain about a so-called defective product than those who might brag of getting a perfect one. But there are a LOT of complaints on the clicking. I feel/hope that it is a software issue that Apple will deal with but for now it IS present in a lot of iPT4s.

Just got mine today. It clicks. Haven't tested it with the WIFI OFF yet.

NO light leaks around the glass, but there is a slight leak around the volume buttons.

I didn't come to this forum to complain about anything, I came here to learn about Apple products, especially the iPad and iPod Touch. But if I have a problem with this device I will share it, here.

10. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Disagree. There's nothing "omg" about this new touch. The only cool feature is higher resolution screen (however it's quality unchanged from previous gens). Cameras are a nice added bonus, but they're so bad in quality, there's nothing "omg" about them. So what else? Maybe A4 chip, but wait it's almost identical in speed to 3gen's. So nope, this years touch is no omg, but hopefully next year we'll see greater improvements :)

11. pcuser94 macrumors member

Just remember, its only the people who have a problem who mention it. If everyone who had perfect ipod touch 4's posted it, it would be overwhelming

12. Zompac macrumors newbie

I don't think you can see any patterns of the iPod touches coming out. The first gen was the new iPod touch. The 2nd gen had added buttons Bluetooth, performance upgrades, and microphone support. The third gen was just a performance update. Faster processor, faster gpu. Wireless n. And the fourth gen has a whole new design with four times as many pixels, gyroscope, an HD camera that looks very decent. Your just judging by megapixels. Of the camera.

Also the A4 is not quite identical to the 3rd gen, as the components are all in one chip the bus speed will be faster making it more responsive. Even though there is the same processor as the 3rd gen, apple has overclocked the CPU to around 833 MHz raer than around 633 MHz which is a speed boost.

Like I said according to apples release patterns next years update will be the very same iPod touch but will have performance updates such as dual core CPU, upgraded gpu, 3 megapixel cammea, VGA for the other one still. And 512 megabytes of ram. Oh and software updates. And the year after that will have the very same Chips, performance, but will have more of a hardware upgrade, like different body, added components, more sensors, stuff that will make it an "omg" update as this one is compared to previous generations.

13. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Mine also perfect. No light leak. No clicking. Just also saying..

Never want to start a thread about how perfect my Touch is, that's for sure.

15. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

got the 64GB. Apart from not sounding as good as my sony NWS-706 its perfect

16. iperson21 macrumors regular

buy it now, the 5th gen will be similar to how the 3rd gen was to the 2nd gen, just performance updates such as maybe a better camera, possibly more ram, the headphones radio thing maybe, maybe a little faster, but nothing you want to wait a whole year for.
    then in the 6th gen, wa-bam! they will throw in a whole lot of cool updates... and i can't think of any right now, but in 2 years, there will be a whole bunch of cool stuff they can add to it.