Buy Now or Wait for Arrandale?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChaosAngel, Jun 27, 2009.

  1. ChaosAngel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    So I am on the verge of buying a new MacBook Pro.

    My question is should I wait for Arrandale? I have being about the new chip and it looks like it could be very interesting.

    From what I have read it looks like Arrandale will have a combined 32nm CPU, but also an on-package GPU that will still be manufactured using Intel’s 45nm process.

    The on-package GPU could be very interesting, however considering Apple recently made the shift to use the nVidia chipset/GPU where would this new chip from Intel fit in the Apple lineup? Is it possible to get an Arrandale chip without the integrated GPU? From what I read it does not look likely as Intel have actually moved the memory controller of the CPU to the GPU and therefore to remove the GPU from the package would require a significant redesign and a change to the manufacturing process. (Does not seem cost effective for them).

    If Apple decides to use the new Intel chip then that might mean they are also forced to use the on-package GPU (based on Intel's history of GPU's that worries me). I assume a dedicated solution from nVidia can still be used, however that does not seem like an efficient use of silicon.

    Finally it looks like we might finally see Arrandale in the test labs in Q4/09, but not available at retail until Q1/10. Thats still over six months away and therefore pushes me towards making a purchase now.

    I would love to hear other people thoughts? Also feel free to correct me if any of the information above is incorrect :)
     
  2. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #2
    Buy now. They were just updated so we might not see anything for quite some time. Also keep in mind that Intel's release doesn't guarantee that Apple will release it in its machines at the same time.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  4. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    :D Thanks for pointing that one out. Not sure how I missed it.
     
  5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #5
    I wouldnt bother waiting for chips. Its rare to see any difference between them. Larger gaps is where you see the difference.
     
  6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #6
    Why wait? For a small, very unnoticeable speed bump?
     
  7. melchior macrumors 65816

    melchior

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2002
    #7
    well, to be fair, the arrandale release is the laptop version of nehalem (i7) which provides a much more efficient bang for your clock cycle buck. so it is true there will only be small 'bump' in clock speed, the real world application will provide significant performance boost.
     
  8. Bettermann09 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    #8
    I agree with everyone else. It's not worth the long wait for that small of a speed bump. Get a macbook now. A few years down the road you can get another one with a very noticeable speed bump. :)

    PS I just got the new macbook. Amazing. :apple:
     
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

    Unprocessed1

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    #10
    True. If you keep waiting for the next update you'll never own anything. Most people update their laptops every 2-3 years and the current MBP will still be decent for that time frame.
     
  11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #11
    I know that. ;) But my point is that no one needs that speed bump. The current dual cores are already way too much power for most. If someone really needs that speed, we'd already have it by now. If you're waiting for the latest, you'll almost never buy, but if you're waiting for more power because you need it, then keep waiting.
     
  12. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    #12
    True, but if I have learned anything from Apple, it always pays to wait about 6-9 months after a new model (notebook) release to get a significantly cheaper/better computer for my buck.
     

Share This Page